Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Tax credits available for energy improvements

First Published Feb 22 2013 02:14 pm • Last Updated Feb 22 2013 05:19 pm

Federal tax credits for energy-efficient home improvements are back, thanks to the fiscal cliff law passed by Congress in January.

Any eligible improvements you’ll make this year and those made in 2012 qualify for up to a $500 total tax credit. These include any insulation, exterior windows and doors, roofs, and heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems that meet Energy Star standards. Be sure to keep your receipts.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

In addition, if you’ve installed solar panels, solar water heating, geothermal heat pumps or a small wind turbine on your home, you may qualify for a credit worth 30 percent of your costs. The improvements must be on an existing home and not for new construction.

To claim the federal energy tax credits, use IRS Form 5695.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.