What to do if your W-2 hasn't arrived

Published February 19, 2013 7:33 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Workers should be getting W-2 forms in the mail, the official statement that verifies wages and taxes for the year. Employers were supposed to send them out by the end of January, but what if yours is late?

The Internal Revenue Service advises first contacting your employer to make sure the document has been mailed and that it was sent to your current mailing address.

If the form still doesn't come, the next step would be to call the IRS at 800-829-1040. The agency will want your name, address, Social Security number and phone number, along with your employer's name, address and phone number; your employment dates; and your estimated wages in 2012, information you can find on your final pay stub.

Even if you don't have a W-2 in hand, you should still file your tax return by April 15 or request an extension.

For more information, check out http://www.IRS.gov or call 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). —-

For assistance

O Go to http://www.IRS.gov or call 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676)

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus