Quantcast

Kim Dotcom's Mega site struggles under mega demand

Published January 21, 2013 10:13 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Sydney • Indicted Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom admits his new file-sharing site is struggling to keep up with massive demand.

Dotcom launched the "Mega" site with a lavish party on Sunday, the anniversary of his arrest on racketeering charges related to his now-shuttered Megaupload. Dotcom says 500,000 users registered for Mega within 14 hours.

On Tuesday, Dotcom apologized on Twitter for "poor service" and said the launch party — which featured a reenactment of last year's police raid on his mansion — led to huge publicity and huge demand.

Dotcom tweeted: "Lesson learned... No fancy launch event for Megabox."

Dotcom plans to launch his Megabox music service in about six months.

U.S. prosecutors accuse Dotcom of facilitating massive online piracy with Megaupload.

Dotcom says he's innocent and remains free on bail.

 

 


USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus