Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
IRS ups 2013 mileage rates for auto travel
First Published Nov 29 2012 08:27 am • Last Updated Nov 30 2012 01:48 pm

The Internal Revenue Service has announced that its has raised most of the 2013 mileage rates used to calculate the deductible costs of operating an automobile.

Beginning on Jan. 1, the rate for business miles driven increases 1 cent from the 2012 rate to 56.5 cents.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The medical and moving rate will also go up 1 cent per mile to 24 cents.

The charitable mileage rate, however, will remain unchanged at 14 cents.

The standard mileage rate for business is based on an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile, according to the IRS. The rate for medical and moving purposes is based on the variable costs.

Taxpayers always have the option of calculating the actual costs of using their vehicle rather than using the standard mile rate, the IRS said.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.