Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Daniel Acker/Bloomberg If you do not agree with the correction the IRS made on your return, it is important that you respond as requested. Reply in writing to explain why you disagree.
A notice from the IRS? Here’s how not to panic
Taxes » Agency offers eight tips to help relieve anxiety.
First Published Aug 22 2012 08:26 am • Last Updated Nov 30 2012 11:33 pm

Receiving a notice from the Internal Revenue Service can be disconcerting.

The IRS, though, wants everyone to know that receiving one of its notices is not necessarily cause for alarm. It points out that it sends millions of letters and notices to taxpayers every year. And, in an effort to reduce some of the stress its notices can cause, it is offering these eight tips.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

• Don’t panic. Many of these letters can be dealt with simply.

• There are a number of reasons the IRS sends notices to taxpayers. The notice may request payment of taxes, notify you of a change to your account or request additional information. The notice you receive normally covers a very specific issue about your account or tax return.

• Each letter and notice offers specific instruction on what you need to do to satisfy the inquiry.

• If you receive a notice about a correction to your tax return, you should review the correspondence and compare it with the information on your return.

• If you agree with the correction to your account, usually no reply is necessary unless a payment is due.

• If you do not agree with the correction the IRS made, it is important that you respond as requested. Reply in writing to explain why you disagree. Include any documents and information you wish the IRS to consider, along with the bottom tear-off portion of the notice. Mail the information to the IRS address shown in the lower left corner of the notice. Allow at least 30 days for a response from the IRS.

• Most correspondence can be handled without calling or visiting an IRS office. However, if you have questions, call the telephone number in the upper right corner of the notice. When you call, have a copy of your tax return and the correspondence available.

• Keep copies of any correspondence with your tax records.

story continues below
story continues below

For more information about IRS notices and bills, see Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process. For information about penalties and interest charges, see Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals. Both publications are available at www.irs.gov.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.