Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
IRS: Filing extension is an option, but paying is not


First Published Apr 11 2012 08:45 am • Last Updated Apr 11 2012 08:47 pm

Any taxpayer unable to meet Tuesday’s tax filing deadline can electronically file for an automatic six-month extension, according to the Internal Revenue Service.

The IRS said the easiest and quickest way to get an extension is online through its "Free File" link at IRS.gov.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Filing Form 4868 automatically gives taxpayers until Oct. 15 to file a return. "This is an extension of time to file, not an extension of time to pay," the IRS noted in a statement.

Taxpayers must estimate their tax liability on the form and should pay any amount due. E-pay is available.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.