Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Can’t file by April 17? The IRS offers options
First Published Apr 05 2012 07:51 am • Last Updated Aug 05 2012 11:31 pm

The Internal Revenue Service said it wants to remind taxpayers that there are quick and easy solutions available if they cannot file their tax returns on time.

Its message: Don’t panic.

At a glance

Tax help on YouTube

The Internal Revenue Service is offering a wide range of videos on YouTube to help taxpayers with their returns. Among the hot topics:

Need more time to file your tax return?

Last-minute tax tips

IRS tax payment options

Owe taxes but can’t pay?

The videos are available at www.youtube.com/IRSVideos. They are available in English, Spanish and American Sign Language.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Tax-filing extensions are available to those who need more time to finish their returns. Remember, though, the IRS is only granting an extension of time to file — not an extension to pay any taxes that are owed.

However, it noted that taxpayers who are having trouble paying what they owe usually qualify for payment plans and other relief.

In March, for example, the IRS as part of its "Fresh Start" initiative announced penalty relief for unemployed taxpayers and the self-employed whose incomes have dropped. Go to http://1.usa.gov/ABWiZ8 for more information.

Regardless, taxpayers will avoid stiff penalties if they file either a regular income tax return or a request for a tax-filing extension by this year’s April 17 deadline, the IRS said.

And it emphasizes that taxpayers should file, even if they can’t pay the full amount due.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.