Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Could you be a 15-percenter?
Primer » Here’s the basics of how the system works and how you might save.

< Previous Page

The exceptions » Not all income is taxed at the rates outlined above. A key exception is any money earned from long-term investments, such as stocks, mutual funds and real estate held for at least a year. This income is classified as capital gains and is taxed at a flat 15 percent. That’s regardless of whether it’s $100 or $1 million.

At a glance

An example of how taxes are calculated

A person’s taxes are not calculated solely on his or her salary. Lots of things come into play. But here’s a simplified version of how someone’s taxes might be calculated:

A single man in his early 30s working as a midlevel executive makes $98,650.

Gross income $98,650

Personal exemption for 2011 $3,700

Standard deduction for 2011 $5,800

Taxable income $89,150

Tax on the first $8,500 (at 10%) $ 850

Tax on the next $25,999 (at 15%) $3,900

Tax on the next $49,099 (at 25%) $12,275

Tax on the next $5,549 (at 28%) $1,554

Total federal tax bill $18,579

Tax rate, compared with his gross income 18.8%

Sources: The Associated Press, The IRS

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"This is why someone who’s a millionaire might have an effective tax rate that’s lower," said Gil Charney, a tax analyst with H&R Block’s Tax Institute. "A higher percentage of their income is going to be from long-term investment income."

In Romney’s case, a chunk of his income in 2010 and 2011 came from Bain Capital, the private equity firm he founded and managed between 1984 and 1999.

Bain still pays Romney "carried interest," which is a classification of pay for managers of hedge fund and private equity firms. Critics say this type of compensation should be taxed as salary at ordinary rates. But as it stands, carried interest is considered capital gains because it’s profit in excess of what investors paid into the fund, Charney said.

The tax rate for capital gains wasn’t always 15 percent. The rate has moved up and down through the years. In the 1970s, for example, the figure was close to 40 percent. And if Congress doesn’t act by the end of the year, the capital gains tax rate will revert back to 20 percent.

Reducing taxes » Tax rates are subject to political influences. But there are a few standby strategies taxpayers can use for reducing their tax bill.

A key tactic is to reduce taxable income; this is why financial planners are such advocates of maximizing contributions to 401(k) accounts. Workers can reduce their taxable income by as much as $17,000 a year. For traditional individual retirement accounts, the maximum contribution is $5,000 a year.

Most large employers also let workers set aside up to $5,000 of pre-tax wages in a health care flexible spending account. This money can be used for a variety of medical costs, including co-pays, prescription drugs and supplies such as cold packs.

story continues below
story continues below

There are also tax breaks for donations and education and health care costs that you may incur anyway.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.