Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Tribune file photo) The FTC has asked a judge presiding over its lawsuit against Jeremy Johnson to amend it to include among others Johnson’s wife, Sharla, seen with him after a court hearing last fall.
A freed Jeremy Johnson eager for day in court
Fraud case » St. George man ran legitimate business, attorney says.
First Published Sep 14 2011 11:57 am • Last Updated May 20 2013 10:48 pm

After posting nearly $2.8 million bail on a mail fraud charge, St. George businessman Jeremy Johnson walked out of the Frank E. Moss U.S. Courthouse in Salt Lake City on Thursday morning after 96 days in jail.

Holding the hand of wife Sharla, Johnson smiled as he left the courthouse and hugged relatives, freed from jail for the first time since his June 11 arrest in Phoenix.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"He’s happy to be out, excited, and he’s going to spend some time with his family," Johnson’s attorney, Nathan Crane, said in cutting off questions to Johnson.

Crane said he and Johnson would now prepare to battle federal prosecutors over the mail fraud charge and others expected to be handed up by a federal grand jury in connection with Johnson’s operation of iWorks, an online marketing company that took in millions of dollars, allegedly in unauthorized charges on consumers’ credit and debit cards.

"We’re excited about going to trial," Crane said. "Jeremy has run a legitimate business, and we look forward to our day in court."

U.S. Magistrate David Nuffer signed an order Wednesday that freed Johnson on bail until his trial. Nuffer’s action came after Johnson’s relatives and friends put up equity in property and an annuity to meet the demands of the U.S. attorney’s office for a substantial bail. He also must wear a GPS ankle bracelet that constantly monitors his whereabouts.

Johnson was in jail for 96 days, since his arrest at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport before he could board a flight to Costa Rica, where his attorney said he was trying to set up a helicopter tourism company. That came after Johnson had shut down his iWorks business late last year as it was being investigated by the Federal Trade Commission for possible fraud.

An IRS agent who arrested Johnson said the agency had been told Johnson intended to stay in Costa Rica for a substantial period of time, though the agent also said he didn’t think Johnson was fleeing the country. Johnson’s attorneys say he would have remained in the U.S. had he known he would be charged.

U.S. Justice Department trial attorney Brent Ward has said he expects a new indictment that will add more charges to the case against Johnson, who also is known in Utah for his philanthropic efforts.

In December, the Federal Trade Commission sued Johnson, iWorks, Johnson’s partners and others, accusing them of running a massive online fraud operation.

story continues below
story continues below

iWorks-related websites touted products for "make-money schemes," "stay-healthy programs" and information about government and private grants, which purportedly could be used by consumers to pay for personal expenses. But some of those who gave credit or debit card numbers to cover a minimal handling charge, usually $1.99, also were charged a one-time fee of $189, then monthly fees of $59.95, according to the suit.

From 2006 to late 2010, iWorks took in $350 million from hundreds of thousands of customers before Johnson shut it down in late 2010, and he received about $48 million from the business, according to the FTC.

Nuffer previously turned down $1 million in bail for Johnson after a former business partner testified Johnson showed him safes full of cash, gold and silver, and said he had money stashed on mountaintops and in lakes. But Crane worked out the new amount with Ward.

tharvey@sltrib.com" target="_blank">Indent">tharvey@sltrib.com

twitter: @tomharveysltrib

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.