Hazmat crews respond to fumes at City Creek mall
Hazmat crews responded to City Creek mall Thursday night after a janitor accidently mixed two incompatible chemicals.
The janitor was working in an upper floor bathroom at 8:24 p.m. when he mixed the chemicals and inhaled the resulting fumes, according to Salt Lake City Fire spokesman Jasen Asay. The man was taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure, Asay added, though he was expected to be fine.
Asay did not know what chemicals the janitor mixed or what types of fumes were produced. He said several other people in the vicinity reported smelling the fumes, but did not suffer any other adverse effects.
Crews temporarily shut down parts of the mall, as well as South Temple at 50 East. The road closure was required to accommodate hazmat vehicles and gear, Asay said.
The incident comes just a month after a similar, more severe incident across the street at Temple Square. On Aug. 22, 10 people were hospitalized after a janitor accidentally mixed chlorine and sulfur.
Temple Square and City Creek also are both owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Asay said Thursday night that both incidents emphasize the importance of exercising care with cleaning chemicals.