Quantcast

NCAA reopens probe into UNC academics

Published June 30, 2014 9:49 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

college athletics • The NCAA is taking another look into academic misconduct at North Carolina after an investigation uncovered new information. UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham said Monday the school has received "a verbal notice of inquiry" that the NCAA will reopen its 2011 investigation in a case that began as an offshoot of a 2010 probe into the football program.

"The NCAA has determined that additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might now be willing to speak with the enforcement staff," Cunningham said in a statement.

Investigations have uncovered fraud in a department with classes featuring significant athlete enrollments, including lecture classes that did not meet and were treated as independent studies requiring only a research paper at semester's end. Former U.S. Justice Department official Kenneth Wainstein is conducting an independent probe into the problems in the formerly named African and Afro-American Studies (AFAM) department.

A 2012 investigation led by former Gov. Jim Martin found problems, including unauthorized grade changes, in the department stretching back to the 1990s.

Colorado, Montreal swap forwards

hockey • The Montreal Canadiens traded veteran forward Daniel Briere to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for forward Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau and a fifth-round pick in 2015 draft on Monday. The 36-year-old Briere, who is heading into the final year of his contract, had 13 goals and 12 assists in 69 games with the Canadiens last season.

Compton in line for spot in British Open

golf • Erik Compton's runner-up finish in the U.S. Open should be enough to get him into the next major championship.

With only two weeks remaining in British Open qualifying, there will not be enough players to fill the 156-man field at Royal Liverpool. The R&A then turns to an alternate list that is almost certain to accommodate Compton, the two-time heart transplant recipient who is having his best year.

The alternate list is based on next week's world ranking.

With at least 12 spots available, Compton currently is No. 4 on the list and unlikely to fall much further.

Others closing in on spot, based on this week's ranking, are Kevin Stadler, J.B. Holmes, K.J. Choi, Charles Howell III and Brooks Koepka, who tied for fourth at the U.S. Open. Freddie Jacobson currently is at No. 8. The Swede squandered a chance to earn one of four spots available to top finishers Sunday in the Quicken Loans National.

As of Monday, 121 players who intend to compete July 17-20 at Royal Liverpool are exempt or have qualified. There are 12 spots available Tuesday at four British links in local final qualifying. Eleven spots have been set aside for leading players in the next two PGA Tour and European Tour events. That would put the field at 144 players.

The Associated Press