Cigarettes sparked Ogden apartment fires
By Michael McFall
The Salt Lake TribuneFirst published Jun 26 2014 02:52PM
The Ogden fire marshal has determined that discarded cigarettes sparked two separate fires at an apartment complex, one of which killed a dog.
The first fire broke out Sunday at The Gate at Canyon Ridge, which used to be called Canyon Cove Apartments until a new owner bought the complex.
Early Wednesday, another fire started in a different building in the complex at 1413 Canyon Cove.
The city fire marshal found that in both cases, someone improperly discarded a cigarette, said Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman. The city estimates the damage from both fires at $250,000.
The Sunday fire extensively damaged the third floor and the west-end units on the first and second floors of a different building. No injuries were reported in that blaze.
A dog died in the Wednesday fire, while four people were treated at the scene for minor medical issues, the fire department said.