Mobile edition | Switch to full site | 33°Partly Cloudy

Young boys start Provo house fire, cause thousands in damages

image
Courtesy | Provo Fire Department A structure fire damaged a home in Provo Friday.

By Jim Dalrymple II

The Salt Lake Tribune

First published Mar 21 2014 06:59PM
Updated Mar 21, 2014 07:43PM

Three young boys accidentally started a fire in Provo on Friday that caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage to a home.

The fire began about 3:16 p.m. in bushes near a home at 1257 N. 1270 West in Provo, according to Fire Marshal Lynn Schofield. The flames then spread to the home, though the homeowner managed to escape after a neighbor saw smoke and raised the alarm.

Firefighters soon arrived and put the blaze out in about 20 minutes. Schofield estimated the damage from the blaze at $60,000.

According to Schofield, witnesses pointed investigators to three young boys who had been near the fire’s point of origin. Upon questioning, the boys admitted to starting the blaze. Schofield said the boys will not be charged due to their age — which he did not provide — though they will be referred to a youth intervention team for "evaluation and education."

jdalrymple@sltrib.com

Twitter: @jimmycdii

Latest in Utah News
Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus