Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Barn fire in Wanship displaces animals
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A fire early Tuesday that destroyed a barn in Wanship was sparked by an extension cord.

The fire began some time before 4:10 a.m. in a barn at 29731 Old Lincoln Highway, according to North Summit Fire District spokesman Tyler Rowser. The blaze completely destroyed the barn, valued at about $150,000, and displaced several goats and dogs that had fled to an exterior, fenced-in area.

Crews managed to rescued the animals and no people were injured in the fire. However, it also destroyed about $30,000 worth contents in the barn, including 800 bales of hay that were being stored as winter livestock feed.

The fire was mostly out Tuesday afternoon, though Rowser said crews decided to let some hay smolder itself out. Residents of the area could expect to see smoke from the smoldering hay for several days.

The fire temporary reduced water supplies for the Summit County community, though Rowser said that issue had been resolved by mid-afternoon.

Investigators believe the fire began with an extension cord used to power a water trough.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
Photos
 
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.