Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
10 released from hospital after fumes exposure on Temple Square
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

All 10 people hospitalized following exposure to toxic fumes at downtown Salt Lake City's Temple Square had been released and returned home as of Friday.

"All were evaluated and released," said Ruth Todd, a spokeswoman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The 10 complained of nausea, coughing and difficulty breathing after inhaling the thionyl chloride resulting from an accidental mixture of chlorine and sulfur by a janitor at the square's South Visitors Center, just before noon Thursday.

About 50 people were evacuated from the building and evaluated by paramedics at the scene. Ten people, including the janitor, were taken to the hospital for further treatment.

The South Visitors Center was reopened by 2:30 p.m. Thursday.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
 
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.