Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Salt Lake City, Provo courts led state in divorces in 2012
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

The courthouses in Salt Lake City and Provo led the state in the number of divorces granted in 2012.

Data from the Utah State Courts showed that in 2012, 2,970 divorce decrees were issued in Salt Lake City's 3rd District Court, nearly a third of the 9,760 issued statewide.

Provo had the second-highest number of decrees issued that year, with 1,402 decrees handed down by judges in the 4th District Court.

The numbers represent a decline in the number of divorces from 2011, when 3,397 decrees were issued in Salt Lake City and 1,561 were issued in Provo.

The largest drop in divorces came in Farmington's 2nd District, which issued 242 fewer divorce decrees in 2012 than it did in 2011, going from 1,271 to 1,029.

Statewide, the number of divorce decrees issued in 2012 decreased by 1,426 from 2011.

The court with the largest increase in divorce decree's was the 4th District's court in Fillmore, where 56 decrees were granted in 2012, compared to 44 in 2011.

The fewest divorce decrees issued in 2012 was in Loa's 6th District Court, with a total of four decrees granted.

The data were compiled by UtahsRight.com for a weekly series in The Salt Lake Tribune highlighting information gleaned from public databases.

UtahsRight.com, the data website for The Salt Lake Tribune, conducts an ongoing statewide quest for district court information and other public information, including salaries of public employees and restaurant inspections, using public records requests made under the state's Government Records Access and Management Act, commonly known as GRAMA.


Twitter: @donaldwmeyers



Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.