Pierce: Here are the top 12 local football games on TV this fall
College football fans in Utah are incredibly lucky.
Not only are the schedules of Utah, BYU and Utah State filled with what has to be the finest collective lineup of opponents in the state's history, but the big games are going to be available to more viewers than ever before.
In terms of TV, we are living a golden age. Yes, we complain about which channel and game times, but it wasn't long ago that BYU was the only one of Utah's three FBS teams we knew was going to appear regularly on television.
And even the Cougars weren't always televised.
But what with BYU's deal with ESPN and its own BYUtv channel; the Pac-12's deals with ESPN and Fox and its own channel; and the Mountain West's deals with CBS Sports Network and ESPN, it's not that difficult to find a way to see a game without ever leaving your recliner.
We don't know the full TV schedule yet, but even worst-case scenario Utah games on the Pac-12 Network; BYU games on BYUtv it will work out.
Here's an early look at the Top 12 TV Games to expect this fall:
12. Texas at BYU (Saturday, Sept. 7, TV TBA) • Even though the Longhorns have been a bit down lately, it's still freakin' Texas a college football icon coming to Provo for the first time since 1988!
11. USU at USC (Sept. 21, TBA) • The Utes haven't been able to take down the Trojans can the Aggies? This is also a chance for the Mountain West Conference to show it can compete with the Pac-12.
10. Utah at USC (Oct. 26, TBA) • The Utes are still looking for a signature win in the Pac-12. This is a chance to get one.
9. Utah at Oregon (Nov. 16, TBA) • The Ducks are among the nation's elite. With a bit of luck, they could be among the nation's highest-ranked teams when they face the Utes.
8. Boise State at USU (Oct. 12, CBSSN) • This will be a way to gauge how competitive USU will be in the Mountain West, and who doesn't relish the thought of beating the Broncos?
7. Boise State at BYU (Friday, Oct. 25, ESPN) • These two teams don't like each other. This is one of the nation's better budding rivalries.
6. BYU at USU (Oct. 4, CBSSN) • Call this Revenge Game 1 the Aggies still can't believe they lost 6-3 in Provo last fall.
5. USU at Utah (Aug. 29, TBA) • Call this Revenge Game 2 the Utes are itching for a rematch with the Aggies after their overtime lost in Logan last season.
4. BYU at Wisconsin (Nov. 9, TBA) • It isn't all that often a local team faces a Big Ten opponent, although USU faced this one last year. Adding to the intrigue is that USU's coach last fall, Gary Andersen, is now Wisconsin's coach.
3. Stanford at Utah (Oct. 12, TBA) • Not only is Stanford picked to be one of the better teams in the Pac-12, but the Cardinal and the Utes have never met as conference opponents.
2. BYU at Notre Dame (Nov. 23, NBC) • It's the Fighting Irish. 'Nuff said.
1. Utah at BYU (Saturday, Sept. 21, TBA) • This is for more than just the annual bragging rights, it's for three years' worth of bragging rights because the Utes are refusing to play the Cougars in 2014 and 2015.
Scott D. Pierce covers television for The Salt Lake Tribune. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org; follow him on Twitter: @ScottDPierce.