Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Mystery man in Ogden cold case finally has a name
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

John Edwin Duff, 27, went missing from Multnomah County, Ore., in September 1994. A month later, Ogden firefighters responded to a blaze at 119 W. 29th St. They later found the body of a man who had apparently taken refuge in the home before it accidentally caught fire.

After exhausting leads on the man's identity, and an analysis of his fingerprints yielded no results, investigators added the case to the National Missing & Unidentified Persons System in December 2010. The sheriff's office in Duff's home county did the same with Duff's disappearance in Feb. 2012.

Utah investigators realized last month that the two entries involved the same man. Ogden Police Sgt. Tim Scott re-opened the case after NAMUS alerted them that there may be a match to a missing person from Salt Lake City.

That lead proved untrue, but Scott went to the Utah State Crime Lab to run the man's fingerprints again. This time, they landed a match: It was Duff.

Ogden investigators worked with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office to locate and notify Duff's family.


Twitter: @mikeypanda

Cold case • Oregon native went missing in 1994 and died in an Ogden house fire.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.