Mobile edition | Switch to full site | 33°Partly Cloudy

Fire destroys kitchen, back room of SLC house


By Michael McFall

The Salt Lake Tribune

First published Dec 09 2012 05:27PM
Updated Dec 9, 2012 05:27PM

An accidental fire destroyed a kitchen and back room of a Salt Lake City house Friday night.

About 10 p.m., firefighters responded to multiple calls of smoke coming out of a house on the 500 block of 1100 West. When crews arrived, they saw the three people who had been inside — a woman and two adult-age sons — had evacuated.

Investigators believe the accidental electrical fire originated near the kitchen, which flames completely destroyed, as well as a room that had been added onto the back of the home.

Firefighters extinguished the flames on the main floor, but then they found that the fire had spread into the attic. They put out the fire in the attic before it could spread or get through the roof.

The woman and one of her sons were asleep when the fire started. The other son wasn’t, and woke up his family before running to a neighbor’s house to call 911.

No one was hurt, and spokesman Jasen Asay praised the family for being smart and getting out of the house to call for help.

Firefighters are still determining a damage estimate for the fire.

mmcfall@sltrib.comclass="ItalicText">mmcfall@sltrib.com

Latest in Utah News
Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus