Utah Boy Scout hospitalized after inhaling fumes in Duchesne pool
A Boy Scout in Duchesne was flown to a Salt Lake hospital after inhaling fumes at a city pool where a chemical pump malfunctioned.
At about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, three Scouts, two 11, and one 13, were working toward a swimming merit badge at the outdoor city pool. The pump that normally releases small amounts of hydrochloric acid and chlorine into the pool stopped working, then pushed a large amount of the chemicals into the pool at once, said Cpl. Monty Nay, of the Duchesne County Sheriff's Office.
All three boys were swimming laps near the location of the chemical release, but one of the 11-year-olds was closer to the area than the other two. The three all began coughing up blood and struggled to breathe, Nay said. Others were coughing from the buildup, but the Scouts were most impacted, Nay said.
The three boys were given oxygen by emergency responders at the scene and were taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Two were released, but the third was flown to Salt Lake City for further treatment. He was taken in critical condition, and his condition was unknown Thursday.
The pool remained closed Thursday.
The pool incident was in addition to the other tragedies that occurred Wednesday. Two 12-year-old Boy Scouts died, one in a scuba-diving accident in Bear Lake, and the other was struck by lightning at Scofield Reservoir.
Another 12-year-old Scout also received burns from the lightning strike.
See more about comments here.