Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Kirby: The truth about Mormon tithing

< Previous Page

I called church headquarters and talked to the one person willing to go on the record. It may have been a janitor. I forgot his name. Here’s what he said.

The church does not sue anyone for tithing. The church does not garnish anyone’s wages. There is no payroll deduction process for paying tithing. Home teachers do not come to your house and muscle it out of you.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

It works this way everywhere. Whether it’s church, Greenpeace, the ACLU, Cats in Space or March of Dimes, the entire idea behind voluntary contributions is that they’re, well, voluntary.

I can’t think of a better way to get me to stop paying tithing than to try to make me pay it.

Robert Kirby can be reached at rkirby@sltrib.com or facebook.com/stillnotpatbagley.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.