Anyone who creates a TV show called "One Life to Live" must have expected the puns and wordplay that would accompany news stories reporting the show’s end, but they probably had no idea just how long that life would be.
After nearly 44 years, the daytime drama is finally calling it quits — on Friday the 13th — a victim of the same declining ratings that recently claimed its ABC sister soap, "All My Children."
The last episode of ‘One Life to Live’
Watch » 1 p.m. Friday, Dec. 13 Channel 4
Following the cancellation of CBS shows "Guiding Light" and "As the World Turns," the show’s demise halves the number of network soap operas from just over two years ago and ends the decades-long run of New York City-based soaps.
Production company Prospect Park appeared to be the white-hatted hero to ABC’s dastardly villain, with promises of an online — and eventual cable — future for both ‘‘OLTL’’ and ‘‘AMC,’’ but that plan has been scrapped.
‘‘AMC’’ signed off in September with a gunshot-fueled finale that put the entire cast, including Susan Lucci’s Erica, in the cross hairs. Let’s hope ‘‘OLTL’’ fans get a little more closure before the final credit rolls.
Before you bid a fond and tear-soaked farewell to Victoria Lord, Niki Smith, Jean Randolph, Tommy, Tori, Princess and Victor (that’s all one person, by the way), or stick pins in your Ty Pennington voodoo doll (the TV handyman and star of the also canceled "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" is one of the hosts of the health and lifestyle show "The Revolution" taking over the ‘‘OLTL’’ timeslot on Monday), test your knowledge of all the lives of Llanview, Pa., with our "One Life to Live" trivia quiz.
And then go pray for "General Hospital." (By the way, the latest news this week from ABC is that four OLTL stars — Roger Howarth (Todd), Kassie DePaiva (Blair), Kristen Alderson (Starr) and Michael Easton (John) — would be heading to "General Hospital" along with their OLTL characters for a story arc sometime in February.)
1. » Longtime ‘‘OLTL’’ heroine Victoria Lord Gordon Riley Burke Riley Buchanan Buchanan Carpenter Davidson Banks has helped her portrayer, Erika Slezak, win a record six Daytime Emmys. But which one of these things never happened to Viki?
A. » Died and went to heaven
B. » Was trapped in the underground city of Eterna
C. » Gave birth to twins by two different fathers
D. » Had six alternate personalities
E. » Traveled back in time to 1888
2. » Crusty Texas millionaire Asa Buchanan played a major part in the show’s landmark gay teen plotline of the early ’90s. Phil Carey, the actor who played Asa, previously played one of the first gay characters on network TV in a famous episode of what 1970’s sitcom?
3. » Llanview is the county seat of Llantano County, located along the banks of Llantano River in the shadow of Llantano Mountain. What is the name of Viki Lord’s estate?
4. » ‘OLTL’’ was responsible for the first big breaks of many future stars, including Tommy Lee Jones, Ryan Phillipe, Judith Light, Nathan Fillion, Dixie Carter, Blair Underwood, Phylicia Rashad, Tom Berenger and what current ABC nighttime star preparing to say goodbye to her own long-running show this May?
5. » Llanview is home to two daily newspapers: The Banner, run by Viki Lord; and The Sun, a tabloid owned by her brother, Todd Manning. By what name was The Sun known when it was owned by Viki’s decades-long nemesis Dorian Cramer Lord, etc.?
6. » A watershed moment in soap opera history came in 1979 when doctor’s wife Karen Wolek (Judith Light) broke down on the witness stand during her friend Viki’s murder trial and confessed a terrible secret, earning Light a Daytime Emmy and continuing praise as the greatest performance ever in daytime, and the scene a place on TV Guide’s 100 Most Memorable Moments in Television History. What was the secret?
A. » She was born a man
B. » She was a housewife hooker
C. » She had no idea who the boss wasNext Page >
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.