Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Rick Egan | The Salt Lake Tribune) Jeff Hornacek chats with Karl Malone, before the Jazz, Spurs game in Salt Lake City, Monday, February 20, 2012.
Utah Jazz owner Greg Miller meets with former forward Karl Malone after game

First Published Feb 20 2012 11:20 pm • Last Updated Feb 21 2012 12:02 am

Out of nowhere, it happened.

Jazz CEO Greg Miller and Hall of Fame forward Karl Malone met late Monday inside EnergySolutions Arena, talked for about an hour and 15 minutes, then emerged from their private session to meet the media.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Once their closed-door conference was over, there was only more silence.

"We talked, and it’s between me and Greg," Malone said.

Miller declined comment.

The impromptu meeting came 17 days after Miller attacked Malone on Feb. 3 in a lengthy blog post, standing up for the Jazz organization after Malone asserted Miller and general manager Kevin O’Connor had undermined former coach Jerry Sloan, who resigned Feb. 10, 2011.

NBA commissioner David Stern told The Salt Lake Tribune on Feb. 6 he wanted Malone and Miller to meet and calmly settle their differences.

Malone’s appearance Monday at the Spurs-Jazz game was unplanned and not coordinated by the franchise. He was joined by his son, Karl Malone Jr.

The elder Malone was first noticed by the media when he walked into the press room before tipoff. Laughing and joking while interacting with fans, he initially declined comment.

Malone then sat in a first-row baseline seat directly beneath the Jazz’s home basket, watching almost all of Utah’s 106-102 loss to the Spurs and signing autographs for fans. At the same time, Miller sat in his normal center-court seat, within clear eyesight of the ex-Utah forward who teamed with guard John Stockton to take the small-market franchise to two NBA Finals.

story continues below
story continues below

After the game, Miller approached Malone and the duo spoke for about five seconds before the Jazz CEO walked away.

Asked whether he planned to soon meet with Malone, Miller told The Tribune, "We’re not going to talk about that."

Miller and Malone then retreated to Utah’s coaches offices for their private meeting, with O’Connor walking in and out of the session.

Before entering the meeting, a steel-faced Malone revealed little.

"I’ll talk when I’m ready to talk," he said.

Then the doors were closed.

Tony Jones contributed reporting.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.