FINAL: Georgia Tech 20, BYU 38

Published October 12, 2013 6:16 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Provo - Georgia Tech adjusted to Taysom Hill.

What the Yellow Jackets didn't do was adjust to the BYU defense. The Cougars kept Georgia Tech bottled up after the Yellow Jackets were able to put up more than 200 yards of offense in the first half in BYU's 38-20 win.

The Cougars have won three straight now since their 20-13 loss to Utah on Sept. 21.

While Hill dominated the first two quarters Saturday — going 16-of-20 and throwing for 226 yards and a touchdown and leading BYU to a 24-13 at half — it was the BYU defense that stepped in when the Georgia Tech defense made its adjustments to the Cougar offense in the second half.

Led by linebackers Kyle Van Noy and Alani Fua, BYU kept the Yellow Jackets scoreless in the second half.

It was Fua who put the exclamation mark on the win with his 51-yard interception return for a touchdown with 11:01 left in the fourth quarter. Less than five minutes later, it was Rob Daniel who jarred the ball loose from Georgia Tech running back David Sims. The ball was recovered by Spencer Hadley, cementing the victory for the Cougars.

With 3:11 left in the fourth quarter, running back Algernon Brown added on a 15-yard touchdown.

Georgia Tech scored its lone points of the second half with 53 seconds remaining when quarterback Justin Thomas found Deon Hill for a 5-yard touchdown pass.

BYU first got on the board early when Hill launched a 45-yard deep ball to Cody Hoffman, who reached back and caught the ball in triple coverage. After Georgia Tech quarterback Vad Lee punched in from two-yards out to tie the game 7-7, the Cougars' no-huddle offense took advantage.

Running back Jamaal Williams scored a 2-yard touchdown — his first from his return to play following a concussion suffered against Utah on Sept. 21 — with 5:47 left in the first quarter.

After Georgia Tech and BYU traded field goals early in the second quarter, Hill's 1-yard touchdown run gave the Cougars a two-score advantage. Harrison Butker later drilled a 44-yard field goal with 59 seconds remaining in the first half.


Twitter: @chriskamrani



Latest tweets (newest at the top)

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus