Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts

Utah liquor licenses: where to get the drink you want
First Published Jul 01 2014 07:50 am • Last Updated Jul 02 2014 10:52 am

It’s no surprise to anyone living in Utah — or visiting the Beehive state — that our liquor laws are complicated.

Take, for instance, the number of liquor licenses that businesses can get from the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. There are seven general categories: restaurant, club, recreational, tavern, banquet, reception center and airport lounge. But within the restaurant category, there are three options: full-service, limited service and beer only. And within the club license category there are four types: social, dining, equity and fraternal.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Is it any wonder that before we’ve even ordered a drink, we’re confused?

Today, things get more complicated, as a new state law goes into effect that allows the holder of a state alcohol license to sell it to a qualified buyer.

While The Salt Lake Tribune can’t simplify the state liquor laws — only the Utah Legislature can do that — we can help you navigate them with this interactive graphic that explains each type of license and what types of alcoholic drinks you can — or can’t — get at each establishment.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.