< Previous Page
Do you have a little TV viewing time on your hands over the holidays? Hoping to catch up on a show or two you missed when they first aired?
Here are seven favorites set to return in the next few weeks worth checking out:
"Archer" • The word "irreverent" might have been invented to describe this very funny cartoon that’s intended for adults. If James Bond was animated and pretty much a complete idiot, he might be Archer.
• Seasons 1-4 available on DVD, Amazon Instant and iTunes.
• Season 5 premieres Jan. 13 on FX.
"Community" • This cult favorite took a decided dip in quality in Season 3, but the series creator Dan Harmon is back in charge for Season 4 — and fans can’t wait to see if he can put this comedy back on track.
• Seasons 1-4 are available on DVD, on Amazon instant video, iTunes and Hulu Plus. Some episodes are on NBC.com.
• Season 5 premieres on Thursday, Jan. 2, on NBC/Channel 5.
"Cougar Town" • ABC canceled this very funny comedy with a terrible title, but TBS snapped it up. It’s sort of an older version of "Friends" — complete with an older version of Courteney Cox — an ensemble comedy with a great cast.
• Seasons 1-3 are available on DVD, iTunes and Amazon Instant; Season 4 on iTunes and Amazon Instant, and some episodes are available on TBS.com.
• Season 5 premieres Jan. 7 on TBS.
"Downton Abbey" • Yes, this is a big soap opera. But it’s a very good soap opera. And all those British accents really make is seem so much classier.
• Seasons 1-4 are available on DVD and Blu-ray, on iTunes and on Amazon Prime.
• Season 5 premieres Sunday, Jan. 5, on PBS/Channel 7.
"Suburgatory" • This sitcom hasn’t been a big hit in the ratings, which is unfortunate — it’s smart and funny. Single father George (Jeremy Sisto) takes his daughter, Tessa (Jane), out of New York City to the ‘burbs, which are a whole different world.
• Season 1 is available on DVD; Seasons 1 and 2 are available on Hulu Plus and iTunes.
• Season 3 premieres Wednesday, Jan. 15, on ABC/Channel 4.
"Switched at Birth" • This really good family drama starts out with the discovery that two teenagers were indeed switched at birth. It’s about the most unusual of blended families, made even more interesting by the fact that one of the girls is deaf.
• Season 1 is on DVD; Season 1 and 2 are on Amazon Instant, Netflix, iTunes and some episodes are at ABCFamily.com.
• Season 3 premieres Jan. 13 on ABC Family.
"Teen Wolf" • Yes, this is the same title as the goofy 1980s movie. But this series has more in common with "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" — it’s scary, funny and fun. A teenager is bitten by a werewolf and mystery and adventure ensue.
• Season 1, 2 and 3 (Part 1) are available on DVD and iTunes and can be streamed for free at MTV.com.
• Season 3 (Part 2) premieres on Monday, Jan. 6, on MTV.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.