Grand America spa gets grander after major remodel
As if the Grand America Hotel weren't opulent enough.
This month, Salt Lake City's high-end hotel which hosts U.S. presidents and professional basketball players completed an expansion and remodel of its Grand Spa. The refined space now spans four floors and takes up 20,000 square feet, 4,400 more than before.
That's good news for romantics, as three new couples massage rooms with "experience" showers were added during the upgrade, spa director Tony Fountain said Wednesday during a media tour.
Each shower features 12 body sprayers, four ceiling showerheads, a wall shower and speakers.
Fountain said the spa previously had one couples massage room, sans the shower, and it wasn't enough to keep up with demand.
"Couples massages have become one of our most popular services" as people try to reconnect with spouses or significant others, he said. It's a big draw for those celebrating wedding anniversaries, but "we're crazy busy on Valentine's Day."
The Grand Spa's couples massage includes a shared crÃ¨me brulÃ©e dessert with berries, caramelized on site; and time for the pair to "relax and warm your muscles" in the shower before the massage.
The cost for this over-the-top service? A 50-minute couples massage is $290; an 80-minute session will put the two of you back $380.
The time spent together, of course, is priceless, said Fountain. "It's a unique experience you're not going to be able to find anywhere in the city."
Other changes include:
• The main spa entrance, once hidden on an upper floor, is now on the hotel's first floor.
• The new fitness center also is on the first floor. It has 10-foot ceilings. (Almost all NBA teams stay at The Grand America when they're in town to play the Utah Jazz, Fountain said.)
• Yoga and personal fitness training space has been added.
• A men's barbering room has been added for guys who want to get an old-fashioned staight-razor shave.
• There's a new salon with more stations for manicures and pedicures so groups can enjoy services together.
• New rooms for facials, body treatments and waxing.
• A family locker room with showers at the indoor pool.
Fountain said in order to keep up with the expanded services, the Grand Spa staff also has doubled from 30 to 60 employees.
The Grand America has expanded and remodeled its spa, and you don't have to be a registered hotel guest to take advantage of the services.
Where • 555 S. Main, Salt Lake City; 801-258-6568
Open • 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily
Specials • To celebrate its grand reopening, the Grand Spa is offering a locals-only special through November. Salt Lake City residents can buy one 50-minute service and get another free. Offer is good Sunday-Thursday on individual services only. No couples services.
See more about comments here.