Weekend Express: The top 9 things happening in Utah
We're here to help you plan your weekend, with best picks from our entertainment reporters, critics and bloggers. For more event listings, visit www.sltrib.com/entertainment. Sports listings can be found here.
1. Ethnic festival • Ethnic food, music, dancing and children's activities are all part of the annual Living Traditions Festival. The featured acts include a female Mariachi band, an Irish country singer, and gospel group that weaves in bit of psychedelia and funk.
When • Friday, 5 to 10 p.m.; Saturday, May 18 noon to 10 p.m.; and Sunday, May 19, noon to 7 p.m.
Where • Salt Lake City & County Building, 450 S. 200 East, Salt Lake City
Tickets • Free admission; see livingtraditionsfestival.com
2. Music • Black Moth Super Rainbow. This experimental, electronica ensemble is led by Thomas Fec, better known by the stage name Tobacco and revered in the underground scene for his novel approach to analog instrumentation and production.
When • Saturday, May 18. at 9 p.m.
Where • Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City
Tickets • $15 at 24Tix
3. Movies • The U.S.S. Enterprise flies again in "Star Trek Into Darkness," director J.J. Abrams' second film based on the '60s TV classic, this time with Capt. Kirk (Chris Pine) and the crew encounting a formidable enemy (Benedict Cumberbatch). (Read The Cricket for the rest of this week's movie openings.)
When • Now playing.
Where • Theaters everywhere.
4. Bird festival • The Great Salt Lake Bird Festival runs through Monday at locations around the lake and its tributaries. For a listing of events, go to www.greatsaltlakebirdfest.com.
When • Now through Monday, May 20
Where • Locations around The Great Lake and its tributaries
Tickets • See www.greatsaltlakebirdfest.com
5. Town festival • The Cache County town of Richmond is holding it's annual Black and White Days through Saturday. The festival celebrates the town's history of dairy production. For more click this link: http://bit.ly/YZau5o
When • Now through Saturday, May 18
Where • Locations throughout Richmond
Tickets • Most events free. See http://bit.ly/YZau5o
6. Amazing Earthfest • The southern Utah, red rock town of Kanab is holding its annual Amazing Earthfest, with lectures, group hikes and rides, dancing and vendors through Saturday. Go to www.amazingearthfest.com for more.
When • Now through Saturday, May 18
Where • Locations throughout Kanab
Tickets • Most events free. See www.amazingearthfest.com
7. Theatre • If you're looking for a new play with a bit of Utah flavor, "The Righteous and Very Real Housewives of Utah County" continues this weekend. The play includes a large female cast and follows Emma Harris, a Mormon widow, as she defies social and religious conventions to give herself a second chance at love.
When • Friday and Saturday, May 17-18 and Thursday-Saturday, May 23-25, at 7:30 p.m.; Sunday, May 19 and 26, at 2 and 7 p.m.
Where • The Post Theater at Fort Douglas, 245 S. Fort Douglas Blvd., Building 636, Salt Lake City
Tickets • $15-$27.50 at righteoushousewives.com; TicketFly.com; 801-948-0631 or at the door one hour prior.
8. Television • BYUtv's rather ambitious effort to make a name for itself with its first scripted drama, "Granite Flats," ends its first season on Sunday (6 and 9 p.m.) and the kids face real danger at the school science fair.
When • Sunday, May 19, at 6 and 9 p.m.
Channel • BYUtv
For more weekend TV highlights • Go to www.sltrib.com/blogs/tv
9. Dance • Ballet West performs "Innovations," its last show of the season. The annual program, encourages current company dancers to try their hand at choreography. It also introduces new works by a guest choreographer.
When • May 17, 18 and 22-25 at 7:30 pm and May 25 at 2 p.m.
Where • Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, 138 W. 300 South, Salt Lake City
Tickets • $45; arttix.org or 801-355-ARTS.
Restaurants • Hungry for something new? Our restaurant critics have recently reviewed Caterina, a new French-themed restaurant in Sugarhouse; Feldman's Deli, where the sandwiches are piled high; and Spedelli's that offers inventive food like carne asada pizza with fresh pico de gallo. Or check out The Tribune's restaurant data base that lets you search by city, price and type of food: See http://entertainment.sltrib.com/restaurants
See more about comments here.