The Utah Heritage Foundation's 42nd annual Historic Homes Tour will be held on Saturday, May 11.
From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. docents will lead tours of five homes and a Gothic Revival church in Salt Lake City's Avenues neighborhood. The tour starts at 4th Avenue and P Street.
New this year is the "Avenues After Hours," a tour of three additional homes from 6 to 8 p.m. Guests can enjoy food and drinks while visiting some of the Lower Avenues most iconic homes.
A second home tour will take place on June 8 in Olympus Cove, allowing guests to experience two eras of architecture.
In addition to the tours, the Heritage Foundation will honor 16 Utah building owners, companies and individuals who have demonstrated the highest preservation standards when remodeling historic buildings. The awards will be presented on Thursday, May 9, during fundraising dinner and silent auction at The Leonardo and will be given for such notable landmarks as the ZCMI building on Main Street in Salt Lake City, Ogden High School and the Casino Star Theater in Gunnison.
"The winners reflect the variety of projects throughout Utah which are being undertaken and beautifully executed to showcase our past while being preserved for the future," said Kirk Huffaker, Executive Director of Utah Heritage Foundation. "These projects highlight the importance of historic preservation and benefit our citizens and visitors."
2013 Heritage Awards Recipients
• Lindon City for the Lindon City Community Center, Lindon
• Jon & Donna Dewey for 1724 Princeton Ave., Salt Lake City
Stabilization, Restoration, or Renovation:
• Steve Goorman & Christa Zaro, 3017 E. St. Mary's Circle, Salt Lake City
• City Creek Reserve for the ZCMI FaÃ§ade, Salt Lake City
• Casino Star Theater Foundation for the Casino Star Theater, Gunnison
• Ogden City School District for Ogden High School, Ogden
• Salt Lake City for Reservoir Park, SLC
• Scott & Karen Ericson and David Ericson for the Peter Forsgren Home, Brigham City
• Jim & Shannon Miller for the Ezra & Elizabeth Tuttle Shomaker Home, Manti
• Daniel Adams, Spanish Fork
• Monte Bona, Mt. Pleasant
• Max Forbush, Farmington
• Earl M. Hardy Foundation, Midway / Boise, ID
• Taylorsville Preservation Committee, Taylorsville
• Mayor Becker and the Salt Lake City Council, Salt Lake City
Lucybeth Rampton Lifetime Achievement Award:
• Wilson Martin, Salt Lake City
The Utah Heritage Foundation sponsors its 42nd annual Historic Homes Tour as well as an awards banquet and preservation conference this week.
Home Tour • Saturday, May 11, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tour starts at 4th Avenues and P Street, includes five homes and a church. Tickets are $15
'Avenues After Hours' • Tour three additional Avenues homes from 6 to 8 p.m. Ticket are $50 and include food and drinks.
Olympus Cove Tour • Ticket is $25 and includes Avenues tour on May 10 and Olympus Cove tour on Saturday, June 8.
Awards dinner and fundraiser • Thursday, May 9, at the Leonardo. Tickets $85. Includes dinner and silent auction.
Preservation conference • Friday, May 10, 7:30 a.m., Salt Lake Masonic Temple, 650 E. South Temple, Salt lake City.
More info • Utah Heritage Foundation, 801-533-0858 extension 107 or utahheritagefoundation.org