Food briefs: Readers' last meals, plus Sweetest Confessions' breakfasts, and a recipe tour at Harmons
Last week we asked readers to tell us what their "last meal" would be, just in case the world really did in on Dec. 21. (Obviously, we interpreted the Maya calendar all wrong.) Here are 10 of our favorite answers that were emailed or posted online.
• Burgers, fries, and salads from Ray's Tavern.
• Mountain of Meat pizza from The Pie and a slushy Coke.
• The blue-cheese crusted filet at Ruth's Chris Steak House, with a side of their creamed spinach, au gratin potatoes, and several dirty martinis.
• Lime shrimp ramen with red chile peppers.
• A Smashburger with garlic-flavored fries
• Spinach with onions, thick slice of prime rib, baked potato with butter and sour cream, fresh strawberries and carrot cake.
• A simple Pastrami and swiss cheese sandwich with a cold Coke and potato chips followed by a piece of strawberry cheesecake while sitting at Top of the World east of Moab.
• Double cheeseburger from Apollo Burger.
• Ice cream. Lots and lots of ice cream. Haagen Daaz coffee flavor. With chocolate chips. And Almonds. Gonna eat some now, regardless of world fate.
Rise and dine
Sweetest Confessions, 9305 S. Village Shop Drive, Sandy, now serves breakfast Monday-Saturday from 7 to 11 a.m. The morning menu includes French toast, scones, Kolaches, cinnamon roll, muffins and pastries. The bakery will continue to offer its regular lunch menu of soups, salads and sandwiches from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, call 801-307-6789.
Recipe tour at Harmons
Join Harmon's chef and dietitian as they shop for one of their favorite recipes and share tips on tips on how to choose healthy and high-quality ingredients.
When • Wednesday, Jan. 2, 5:30 p.m.
Where • Harmons City Creek, 135 E. 100 South, Salt Lake City
Cost • Free, register at harmonsgrocery.com/cooking-school.
Chefs from Park City's J&G Grill will demonstrate how to make chocolate-covered strawberries, ice cream and other confections using a huge tank of liquid nitrogen. This one-hour clinic is creative and safe for the whole family.
When • Every Wednesday, beginning Jan. 9, at 4 p.m.
Where • The J&G Grill's confectioner's kitchen, inside the St. Regis Deer Valley, 2300 Deer Valley Drive East, Park City; 435-940-5774.
Cost • $16 per person; call for a reservation.