In what might be the most excitement Utah fans get until the Utes begin play on Aug. 28, the final fall camp depth chart was released Monday morning, and junior Travis Wilson is the No. 1 quarterback.
Kyle Whittingham said last week that the battle between Wilson was as tight as could be imagined. We’ll learn more about who is where and why at Monday morning’s practice.
Also of note:
• Walk-on wide receiver Tim Patrick, a 6-foot-5 junior, is listed as a starter. Last week, sophomore Delshawn McClellon was elevated to a starting role, and McClellon has earned high praise from coaches all fall. So has Patrick, though.
• Less than a week after switching from defensive end to linebacker, Pita Taumoepenu is listed as co-starter with Uaea Masina.
• At right tackle, sophomore J.J. Dielman is starter, with Sam Tevi (until recently, a defensive tackle) as backup. At left tackle, Andrew Albers surpasses Marc Pouvave as Jeremiah Poutasi’s backup.
• Seni Fauonuku is now alone as starter at one of the defensive tackle spots after a three-way tie between he and Stevie Tu’ikolovatu and Filipo Mokofisi last week. At the nose tackle spot it’s still split between Sese Ianu, Lowell Lotulelei and Clint Shepard — recently awarded a scholarship after two seasons as a walk-on.
• Wallace Gonzalez is now listed as a co-backup at both left and right end, answering the question of where the former Houston Astros organization player would line up. Gonzalez was a prep standout at tight end.
— Matthew Piper
|1.||Martin MacNeill gets up to life in prison for wife’s murder|
|2.||Utah rally: Same-sex marriage would hurt children|
|3.||In ninja gear and claiming to be polygamists, women invade Utah home|
|4.||Utah teacher to stand trial on charges of sex with second boy|
|5.||Fall TV preview: The best and worst of fall TV|
|6.||Utah same-sex marriage supporters decry use of child photos|
|7.||Lawyer to ask feds to probe Utah police shooting of Darrien Hunt|
|8.||BYU football: Virginia suddenly looms large for Cougars|
|9.||Movie review: ‘Maze Runner’ sends viewers going in circles|
|10.||Letter: How low will same-sex marriage opponents go?|