Aggies commits/offerees getting into high school season
Starting a semi-regular feature checking in on some of Utah State's commitments and top targets and how they're fairing in the prep world.
• Jalen Moore, 2013 G/F The Sky View senior is starting off hot, scoring a lot of points as he takes over as the alpha dog for the Bobcats. Moore is averaging 24.4 points per game, about 6.8 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game. Sky View is now 4-1, a loss to Weber their only blemish. Moore went off for 30 points and 9 rebounds at Bear River, and scored 21 against previously undefeated Provo last week. Several observers felt that signing Moore was a coup for Utah State, and if he continues to play at this level, he just might prove them right.
• Carson Shank, 2013 C The 7-footer hasn't been an outright star, but he's been a good asset for Prior Lake, Minn. Shank, a USU signee, is averaging 11.4 points per game and 7.5 rebounds, while also blocking 2.5 shots per game. His length and height make him a guy who could keep getting better at the college level, but it will be interesting to see how his role develops this year.
• Sam Merill, 2014 G The junior has ascended to become the top guy for the Braves, who are hoping to be a 4A contender this year. He's scored double digits in all of his games, averaging 16.4 ppg for Bountiful. He had a strong game against Viewmont, getting 16 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists to seal the win over the Vikings.
Offered, but uncommitted:
• Brekkott Chapman, 2014 F: The 6-foot-8 junior would be a big get for the Aggies, as he's drawing serious looks from other DI programs. The last two games, Chapman has started showing what the hype is about. He got a 19-13 double-double at Woods Cross, followed by a 30-14 double-double at Granger. For the season, he's averaging 18.9 points and 10.1 rebounds per game. More importantly, he's seeming gotten better each game for the Royals.
• Ryan Andrus, 2014 C: The Cavemen aren't likely to be the power they were last season, but 6-foot-9 Andrus has emerged as the team's star as they try to make another run. He's taken on the lion's share of scoring, as shown by his combined 43 points against Alta and Mountain Crest last week. American Fork fell to the Hawks, but beat the Mustangs. His averages hang around 19.2 ppg and 7.6 rpg, and the Utes are among the schools keeping close tabs on him along with the Aggies.
See more about comments here.