Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Friday Olympics on TV: High stakes on ice skates
Coming into the Sochi Games, Canadian Patrick Chan - a three-time world champion - was the favorite to win the gold medal in men's figure skating.
That thinking has changed, however, The new favorite might be 19-year-old Japanese skater Yuzuru Hanyu, who turned in a magnificent short-program performance to finish first in that part of the team competition.
Chan is still among the top contenders, however. And his chances were no doubt boosted when 2006 gold medalist Evgeni Plushenko, who helped Russia win the team gold last week, was forced to drop out because of an injury.
You can catch the competition live on NBCSN during the day or tape-delayed in NBC's primetime show.<
NBC PRIMETIME • 7-10:30 p.m., Ch. 5: Men's figure skating/gold medal final; men's alpine skiing/super combined gold medal final; women's freestyle skiing/aerials gold medal final; women's skeleton/gold medal final runs
NBC LATE NIGHT • 11:05 p.m.-12:05 a.m., Ch. 5: Men's ski jumping/individual K-125 large hill competition; men's skeleton
• 12:05- 3:30 a.m.: Repeat of NBC primetime
NBCSN • 5:30-8 a.m.: Men's hockey/Sweden vs. Switzerland (live)
• 8 a.m.-12:15 p.m.: Men's figure skating/gold medal final
• 12:15-1 p.m.: Men's ski jumping/individual K-125 large hill competition
• 1-3 p.m.: Hockey repeat3-5 p.m.: Hockey/game of the day
• 1-3:30 a.m. (early Saturday): Men's hockey/Slovakia vs. Slovenia (live)
• 3:30-5 a.m. (early Saturday): Women's cross-country skiing/4x5km relay gold medal final (live)
MSNBC • 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Men's hockey/Finland vs. Norway (live)
• 1-3:30 a.m. (early Saturday): Women's hockey/quarterfinal
• 3:30-5:30 a.m. (early Saturday): Women's curling/Canada vs. Japan
USA • 10 a.m.-1 p.m.: Men's hockey/Austria vs. Canada (live)