Sundance juries named; Mullally and Offerman to host awards night
Members of the juries for the 2014 Sundance Film Festival have been announced today — along with the funny couple who will host the closing-night awards show.
Actors Megan Mullally and Nick Offerman have been tabbed to emcee the closing-night show on Jan. 25. Mullally is best known as the acerbic, alcoholic Karen on "Will & Grace," and Offerman stars as libertarian boss Ron Swanson on "Parks & Recreation."
Mullally and Offerman, who happen to be married to each other, have appeared together on Sundance red carpets — last year for the comedy "The Kings of Summer" (when it was called "Toy's House"), and in 2012 to support the alcoholism drama "Smashed." This year, Offerman appears in the one-man stand-up show "Nick Offerman: American Ham," and Mullally provides one of the voices in the animated "Ernest & Celestine."
Here are the juries who will be choosing the winners in the major competition categories:
U.S. Documentary jury
• Tracy Chapman, Grammy-winning singer-songwriter.
• Charlotte Cook, director of programming for the Hot Docs film festival.
• Kahane Cooperman, producer of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"; also produced the documentary "Heidi Fleiss: Hollywood Madam."
• Morgan Neville, director of "20 Feet From Stardom."
• Jonathan Oppenheim, documentary film editor ("Paris Is Burning," "Sister Helen," "The Oath").
U.S. Dramatic jury
• Leonard Maltin, film critic for "Entertainment Tonight," film historian.
• Peter Saraf, producer ("The Kings of Summer," "Safety Not Guaranteed," "Our Idiot Brother," etc.); co-founder of the production company Big Beach.
• Lone Scherifg, director of "An Education" and "Italian for Beginners."
• Bryan Singer, director of "The Usual Suspects," "X-Men," "X2" and "X-Men: Days of Future Past."
• Dana Stevens, film critic for Slate.com.
World Cinema Documentary jury
• Andrea Nix Fine, co-director of "Life According to Sam" and the Oscar-winning short "Inocente."