All five starters on BYU’s basketball team right now played high school basketball within a 10-mile radius of the BYU campus in Provo. There’s probably not another team in major college basketball that can boast of such a thing.
BYU’s women’s soccer team will also be full of native Utahns in the near future — although not to the same extent.
Coach Jennifer Rockwood announced last week that she has signed eight new recruits for the 2014 season. All eight recruits are from the state of Utah.
Last year, Rockwood signed seven players from five different states.
BYU’s 2014 women’s soccer signing class includes:
* Rachel Bingham of Maple Mountain High School in Utah County. She played club soccer for Sparta United.
* Nadia Gomes of Brighton High School. Gomes played club soccer for Murray Max SC and also played for Portugal’s U-19 national team in the UEFA U-19 European Championship Qualifying.
* Alyssa Jefferson of Jordan High School. Jefferson played for Sparta United.
* Madie Lyons of Alta High School. Lyons played for Sparta United and is the granddaughter of former BYU quarterback Marc Lyons, now a color analyst for BYU football games on KSL Radio.
* Shaylynn Orr of Alta High School. She played club soccer for Sparta United.
* Elisabeth "Bizzy" Phillips of Alta High School. Recently named the Gatorade Utah women’s soccer player of the year for the second straight year, she is the sister of Utah kicker Andy Phillips. She also played for Sparta United.
* Stephanie Ringwood of Brighton High School. She also played for Sparta United.
* Carla Swensen of Bingham High School. She played for Black Diamond SC.
"We have an amazing class that we're so excited about," Rockwood said in a school news release. "It's just going to be a fantastic class. There's a great mix of forwards, midfielders and defenders. It's going to bring in a lot of speed and athleticism."
Gomes, Swensen and Lyons are forwards.
Phillips, Bingham and Ringwood are midfielders.
Jefferson and Orr are defenders.
|1.||Paul Rolly: Blogger fired from language school over ‘homophonia’|
|2.||TV preview: ‘Hell on Wheels’ mocks Mormons|
|3.||Movie review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ breaks the Marvel mold|
|4.||Take off your clothes to make it in reality TV|
|5.||14 senators want Obama to create national monument in Utah|
|6.||‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ blasts Marvel in a different direction|
|7.||Polygamous trust fiduciary a witness in prostitution case|
|8.||Tennis: China’s Li Na pulls out of U.S. Open because of knee|
|9.||Sean P. Means: In battle of comic cons, Salt Lake is already winning|
|10.||Utah Jazz have plenty of cap space, decisions ahead|