Wondering how our neighbors to the north are taking a judge's decision to uphold the country's ban on polygamy? According to my very non-scientific survey of mostly mainstream media sources, they're ... divided. Below is a smattering of reactions I thought were interesting. If you've seen any other good ones, share them in the comments.
- The ruling should trouble feminists because it doesn't give women credit for being able to make their own choices, a law professor and former head of the gender studies department at Queen's University writes in this Toronto Star piece.
- The Guelph Mercury editorializes here that the ban is good, saying polygamous marriages are "prone to problems, at least in our society."
- The Catholic Register also supported the decision, saying that "anything that promotes traditional, monogamous marriage is good."
- The Victoria Times-Colonist says here that polygamy not the real crime, abuse is: "People have it within themselves to make any kind of relationship work, or not."
- A lawyer writing in the Globe and Mail takes on the polygamy-gay marriage connection here, saying the judge disproved the "slippery slope" argument. (Gay marriage was legalized in Canada in 2005). While he agrees with the ruling that polygamy is harmful, he says it still leaves a lot of unanswered questions.
- Writing for the blog care2.com, an Ottawa attorney makes the case here that decriminalization of polygamy would have done more to protect women and children.
- The weekly magazine McLean's, meanwhile, says here the judge's reasoning was flawed: "It is not enough for a judge to refer to broadly held values and assert spurious, unproven predictions about how society will fall apart if the law is struck down."
- Though neither side has said whether they will appeal, a National Post columnist says here that Parliament may end up taking on the polygamy question (Note: this story was written before the decision was released).
|1.||Western lands takeover: Former BLM chief, state lawmaker clash|
|2.||‘Bachelorette’ contestant dies in Utah paragliding accident|
|3.||Scott D. Pierce: Comedy Central let John Oliver get away|
|4.||Health Department closes West Valley Sports Bar|
|5.||University of Utah says sorry for sperm mix-up; family not happy|
|6.||U. of Utah nurse resigns over offensive online comment about Tongans|
|7.||Five reasons a coach would choose the Utah Jazz|
|8.||Turkish ‘street food with a twist’ takes a spin in Salt Lake City|
|9.||U.S. durable goods orders up 2.6 percent in March|
|10.||Recipes: Eggs break out, crack the haute cuisine scene|