Wondering how our neighbors to the north are taking a judge's decision to uphold the country's ban on polygamy? According to my very non-scientific survey of mostly mainstream media sources, they're ... divided. Below is a smattering of reactions I thought were interesting. If you've seen any other good ones, share them in the comments.
- The ruling should trouble feminists because it doesn't give women credit for being able to make their own choices, a law professor and former head of the gender studies department at Queen's University writes in this Toronto Star piece.
- The Guelph Mercury editorializes here that the ban is good, saying polygamous marriages are "prone to problems, at least in our society."
- The Catholic Register also supported the decision, saying that "anything that promotes traditional, monogamous marriage is good."
- The Victoria Times-Colonist says here that polygamy not the real crime, abuse is: "People have it within themselves to make any kind of relationship work, or not."
- A lawyer writing in the Globe and Mail takes on the polygamy-gay marriage connection here, saying the judge disproved the "slippery slope" argument. (Gay marriage was legalized in Canada in 2005). While he agrees with the ruling that polygamy is harmful, he says it still leaves a lot of unanswered questions.
- Writing for the blog care2.com, an Ottawa attorney makes the case here that decriminalization of polygamy would have done more to protect women and children.
- The weekly magazine McLean's, meanwhile, says here the judge's reasoning was flawed: "It is not enough for a judge to refer to broadly held values and assert spurious, unproven predictions about how society will fall apart if the law is struck down."
- Though neither side has said whether they will appeal, a National Post columnist says here that Parliament may end up taking on the polygamy question (Note: this story was written before the decision was released).
|1.||Photos: Taylor Swift dominates Billboard Awards, Bieber awards draw boos|
|2.||Utah police close active Susan Powell investigation|
|3.||Kirby: What would you let money do to you?|
|4.||Founding Doors member Ray Manzarek dies at 74|
|5.||At least 20 children among the 51 killed in Oklahoma tornado|
|6.||Kragthorpe: Chickening out? Bronco won’t say so, but why not?|
|7.||Mormon movie soundtrack a historical journey for Utah composer Paul Cardall|
|8.||Hatch wants immigrant fingerprints taken at airports|
|9.||Hatch poised to back immigration bill with changes|
|10.||Utah Jazz: Long odds separate Jazz from top of lottery|