Legislation restricting sex education in Utah schools passed the House and Senate by wide margins, but there was apparently no burning desire to consummate the override of Gov. Gary Herbert's veto.
Only seven House members and six senators voted to override the veto of HB363 — obviously well short of the 50 Representatives and 20 Senators that would be needed to steamroll the governor.
The bill would have prohibited public schools from teaching about anything beyond abstinence and the biological processes of reproduction.
The House members who voted for the override were:
• Rep. Keith Grover, R-Provo;
• Rep. Chris Herrod, R-Provo;
• Rep. Ken Ivory, R-West Jordan;
• Rep. Mike Morley, R-Spanish Fork;
• Rep. Patrick Painter, R-Nephi;
• Rep. Ken Sumsion, R-American Fork;
• and Rep. Bill Wright, R-Elberta.
Notably, at least three of those members — Herrod, Morley and Sumsion — will not be returning to the Legislature. Painter is running for Senate against Sen. Ralph Okerlund, R-Monroe.
On the Senate side, there was a much higher percentage of support. The six who wanted to override the veto were:
• Sen. J. Stuart Adams, R-Layton;
• Sen. Margaret Dayton, R-Orem;
• Senate Majority Leader Scott Jenkins, R-Plain City;
• Sen. Mark Madsen, R-Eagle Mountain;
• Sen. Howard Stephenson, R-Draper; and
• Sen. Daniel Thatcher, R-West Valley City.
Jenkins is the only member of leadership in either body that voted for the override, although Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, did not vote.
-- Robert Gehrke
|1.||Hatch wants immigrant fingerprints taken at airports|
|2.||Hatch poised to back immigration bill with changes|
|3.||Kragthorpe: Chickening out? Bronco won’t say so, but why not?|
|4.||Founding Doors member Ray Manzarek dies at 74|
|5.||Susan Powell case closed, files are opened|
|6.||Utah police close active Susan Powell investigation|
|7.||Photos: Taylor Swift dominates Billboard Awards, Bieber awards draw boos|
|8.||Mormon movie soundtrack a historical journey for Utah composer Paul Cardall|
|9.||At least 20 children among the 51 killed in Oklahoma tornado|
|10.||Kirby: What would you let money do to you?|