Legislation restricting sex education in Utah schools passed the House and Senate by wide margins, but there was apparently no burning desire to consummate the override of Gov. Gary Herbert's veto.
Only seven House members and six senators voted to override the veto of HB363 — obviously well short of the 50 Representatives and 20 Senators that would be needed to steamroll the governor.
The bill would have prohibited public schools from teaching about anything beyond abstinence and the biological processes of reproduction.
The House members who voted for the override were:
• Rep. Keith Grover, R-Provo;
• Rep. Chris Herrod, R-Provo;
• Rep. Ken Ivory, R-West Jordan;
• Rep. Mike Morley, R-Spanish Fork;
• Rep. Patrick Painter, R-Nephi;
• Rep. Ken Sumsion, R-American Fork;
• and Rep. Bill Wright, R-Elberta.
Notably, at least three of those members — Herrod, Morley and Sumsion — will not be returning to the Legislature. Painter is running for Senate against Sen. Ralph Okerlund, R-Monroe.
On the Senate side, there was a much higher percentage of support. The six who wanted to override the veto were:
• Sen. J. Stuart Adams, R-Layton;
• Sen. Margaret Dayton, R-Orem;
• Senate Majority Leader Scott Jenkins, R-Plain City;
• Sen. Mark Madsen, R-Eagle Mountain;
• Sen. Howard Stephenson, R-Draper; and
• Sen. Daniel Thatcher, R-West Valley City.
Jenkins is the only member of leadership in either body that voted for the override, although Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, did not vote.
-- Robert Gehrke
|1.||Waterless subdivision in Saratoga Springs spurs criminal charges|
|2.||BYU football: Cougars blow lead in 42-35 loss to Nevada (with video)|
|3.||Kirby: Meet the Mormons: The prequel|
|4.||Federal sage-grouse workshop’s access criticized|
|5.||BYU football: Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars’ collapse (with video)|
|6.||Utah Jazz: Lakers beat Jazz as fringe players fight for roster spots|
|7.||BYU football: Coaches say Cougars most deserving of power conference admission|
|8.||New Utah report cards: Too complex to hand to parents|
|9.||Woman accused of stabbing partner to death in Ogden|
|10.||Seattle Mormon leaders to gays: You are valued — worship with us|