See more about comments here.
Plans for the weekend: Cannon fire in Deer Valley
• Country Explosion 2014 concludes its four-day run this weekend at the Deseret Peak Complex, 2930 W. Highway 112, Tooele. Tonight: Singing superstar Reba McEntire, with opening acts Gary Allan, Rodney Atkins and Love and Theft. Saturday: Good ol' boy singer Toby Keith, with opening acts Brantley Gilbert and Chris Janson. Sunday: Up-and-coming duo Florida Georgia Line, with opening acts Eli Young Band, Jana Kramer and Locash Cowboys. Show starts at 3 p.m. today, and noon on Saturday and Sunday. Tickets, from $20 to $655, available at the Country Explosion website.
• The Utah Symphony performs Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, also known as "the one with the cannons," tonight as part of the Deer Valley Music Festival at the Deer Valley Snow Park Outdoor Amphitheatre, 2250 Deer Valley Drive, Park City. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets, from $29 to $49, at ArtTix.
• Indie folk-rock duo Wye Oak performs tonight at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Pattern Is Movement. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance, $17 on the day of the show, at 24Tix.
• Local reggae band Natural Roots performs tonight at The Royal, 4760 South 900 East, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Daverse, Spencer Johnson, DJ Dubwise. Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $10, at Smith's Tix.
• Doom-metal band Turned to Stone headlines the "Frozen Summer" Tour, Saturday at the Murray Theatre, 4959 S. State St., Murray. Opening acts: Eternal North, Arsenic Addiction, Moon of Delirium, Silent Sorcerer. Show starts at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 on the day of the show, at Smith's Tix or 24Tix.
• Singer-songwriter Mary Chapin Carpenter performs with the Utah Symphony, Saturday at the Deer Valley Snow Park Outdoor Amphitheatre, 2250 Deer Valley Drive, Park City. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets, at $42 and $80, available at ArtTix.