A new film festival is arriving in Salt Lake City, and aims to make a big splash with fans of the fantasy, science-fiction and horror genres.
FilmQuest founder Jonathan Martin calls the event "a festival for the fantastic," one that for sheer number of films screened will rival the state’s biggest film festival, Sundance.
Among the films Martin touted at a press conference today:
• A cast reunion and screening of "Troll 2," the infamously bad low-budget goblin horror thriller filmed in Morgan, Utah.
• "The Landing," an Australian horror short that won Best Short Film at the SITGES Film Festival in Spain.
• "The Seventeenth Kind," a science-fiction tale starring Sylvester McCoy ("Doctor Who," "The Hobbit"), Tony Curran ("Underworld") and Brian Blessed ("Flash Gordon").
• The world premiere of "Survivor," a science-fiction drama starring Kevin Sorbo ("Hercules: The Legendary Journeys") that was filmed in Utah.
• The Oscar-nominated Belgian short "Death of a Shadow."
• The short "The Visitant," by Utah filmmaker Nick Peterson, about a woman (Amy Smart) who must battle a demon (Doug Jones) to save her family.
Martin and FantasyCon founder Josh Patel also touted the festival’s prize, the Cthulhu Trophy, a foot-high statuette designed by designer Ryan Peterson, a Hollywood make-up effects designer who has worked on such films as "Men in Black" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."
|1.||Utah teacher to stand trial on charges of sex with second boy|
|2.||Utah football LIVE: Utah 26, Michigan 10, game suspended for lightning|
|3.||In ninja gear and claiming to be polygamists, women invade Utah home|
|4.||Utah rally: Same-sex marriage would hurt children|
|5.||Utah same-sex marriage supporters decry use of child photos|
|6.||Utah football: Victory over Michigan could be big boost to Utes’ season|
|7.||BYU Football LIVE: BYU beats Virginia 41-33|
|8.||Lawyer to ask feds to probe Utah police shooting of Darrien Hunt|
|9.||Letter: How low will same-sex marriage opponents go?|
|10.||BYU football: Virginia suddenly looms large for Cougars|