• Hip-hop artist Hoodie Allen headlines The Grand Kerfuffle 2014, tonight on the University of Utah Union lawn area, 200 S. Campus Drive, Salt Lake City. Also performing: Talib Kweli, Burnell Washburn & The Druthers, Dope Thought. Show starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $20, at Smith’s Tix. (U. of U. students with ID can get two free tickets at the Union Services Desk, while they last.)
• Ballet West II’s production of "The Little Mermaid" has a weekend run, tonight through Sunday, at the Capitol Theatre, 50 S. 200 South, Salt Lake City. Show runs tonight at 7 p.m., Saturday at 2 and 7 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• Pop-rock experimental band Vertical Scratchers performs tonight at Kilby Court, 741 S. Kilby Court, 330 West, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Lake Island, The Wild War. Show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10, at 24Tix.
• Death/doom metal band Turned To Stone and hard-rock band Never Before co-headline Saturday at the Murray Theater, 4959 S. State St., Murray. Opening acts: Dead Revelator, Founders of Ruin, Uroboric Deity. Show starts at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 on the day of the show, at 24Tix.
• Pop singer-songwriter Christina Perri (best known for her hit "A Thousand Years," the love theme to the "Twilight" movies) performs Saturday at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Birdy. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $26 in advance, $30 on the day of the show (add $2 for people under 21), at Smith’s Tix.
|1.||Kirby: Scary times in Mormon seminary|
|2.||MLB: Angels’ Richards out for season with knee injury|
|3.||BYUtv meets TV critics, and gay question arises|
|4.||Tech Tips: Considerations when phone contracts end|
|5.||Utah football: What we’ve learned as Utes’ camp ends|
|6.||Why the Emmy Awards don’t play well on TV|
|7.||Utah County man who shot wife convicted of first-degree murder|
|8.||Park City rejects Kimball Art Center designs|