The Utah Symphony announced the line-up for the summer concert series at Deer Valley’s Snow Park Amphitheater — as well as the chamber music series at St. Mary’s Church in Park City.
A highlight of the chamber music series is the conducting debut of Thierry Fischer, the Utah Symphony’s musical director and main conductor. Fischer will conduct a program of Mozart and Beethoven on Aug. 6.
Here’s the full line-up for both the amphitheater and St. Mary’s:
Snow Park Amphitheater:
• July 4: The Texas Tenors, performing patriotic music and country and pop songs; Jerry Steichen conducts.
• July 5: Country legend Kenny Rogers; Jerry Steichen conducts.
• July 11: The film music of John Williams; Jeff Tyzik conducts.
• July 12: The music of U2; Brent Havens conducts.
• July 18: Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture and Gershwin’s "Rhapsody in Blue." The Cannoneers of the Wasatch bring the noise for the 1812 Overture; Vladimir Kulenovic conducts.
• July 19: Singer-songwriter Mary Chapin Carpenter performs songs from her debut orchestral album, "Songs From the Movie"; Vince Mendoza conducts.
• Aug. 1: "Disney in Concert: Tale As Old As Time," a selection of Disney music; Jerry Steichen conducts.
• Aug. 2: "Super Diamond," a Neil Diamond tribute concert; Jerry Steichen conducts.
• Aug. 8: The Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs with the Utah Symphony, with Mack Wilberg conducting.
St. Mary’s Church:
• July 16: The Utah Symphony performs Beethoven’s "Egmont" Overture, Schubert’s Rondo in A major for violin and string orchestra, Saint-Saëns’ "Havanaise" for violin and orchestra, Ravel’s "Pavane," and Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 4 in A major ("Italian"). Violinist Emma Meinrenken, winner of the 2013 Stradivarius Violin Competition, solos on the Schubert and Saint-Saëns works; Vladimir Kulenovic conducts.
• July 23: The Muir String Quartet performs Debussy’s String Quartet in G minor, Joan Tower’s String Quartet No. 5, and Dvorak’s String Quartet No. 11 in C major.
• July 30: The Utah Symphony performs Haydn’s Symphony N. 96 in D major ("Miracle"), Tchaikovsky’s Serenade for Strings in C major, and Schubert’s Symphony No. 3 in D major. Matthew Halls is guest conductor.
July 31: The "Emerging Quartets & Composers" show, featuring the Friction Quartet and the Rosco String Quartet. The program includes world-premiere performances of works by composers Anthony Suter and Nicolas Chuaqui, as well as Berg’s "Lyric Suite" and Schubert’s String Quartet No. 14 in D minor ("Death and the Maiden").
Aug. 6: Thierry Fischer conducts the Utah Symphony in two Mozart works — Overture to "Lucio Silla" and Symphony No. 36 in C ("Linz") — and Beethoven’s Symphony No. 2 in D.
For ticket information, go to the festival’s website.
|1.||Western lawmakers gather in Utah to talk federal land takeover|
|2.||Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review|
|3.||Free entry this weekend in national parks|
|4.||Salt Lake Comic Con FanX: In ‘cosplay,’ everybody can be anybody|
|5.||Utah same-sex marriage opponents hope case not undone by technicality|
|6.||Autopsies of 7 dead Utah babies done, reports still weeks away|
|7.||Neon Trees’ Tyler Glenn proud to be gay and Mormon|
|8.||Northern Utah toddler accidentally shot with rifle dies|
|9.||Expect street closures in downtown Salt Lake City for marathon|
|10.||Utah Jazz: Corbin knew rebuild decision would impact future|