• Progressive-metal band Periphery leads a hard-rocking night, tonight at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Born Of Osiris, Dead Letter Circus, Twelve Foot Ninja. Show starts at 5. Tickets are $20, at Smith’s Tix.
• Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell sings with the Utah Symphony, tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at Arttix.
• Folk-rock band The Moondoggies and power-pop band The Quick & Easy Boys share headlining duties tonight at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: Rose Windows. Show starts at 9. Tickets are $15, at the venue’s website.
• Metal band Kill Devil Hill headlines Sunday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Eyes Set To Kill, Girl On Fire, Black Water Rising. Show starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $16 in advance, $18 on the day of the show, at Smith’s Tix.
• Tycho, the performing name for ambient-rock artist Scott Hansen, plays Sunday at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Beacon. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance, $17 on the day of the show, at 24Tix.
|1.||Mormon church traces black priesthood ban to Brigham Young|
|2.||Friends rally to help former Utah football star Bronzell Miller, given two weeks to live|
|3.||Few searchers remain in quest for 5 missing in central Idaho plane crash|
|4.||Mitt Romney documentary a standout amid Sundance’s stars|
|5.||Real Salt Lake: Jason Kreis steps down as RSL coach|
|6.||Restaurant review: Menu misses at The Annex in Sugar House|
|7.||All I want for Christmas is a new Christmas song|
|8.||Holiday cocktails: Mixing it up with Sugar House Libations|
|9.||From thousands of entries, Sundance picks 66 short films|
|10.||Kirby: Investigating the truth about Santa Claus|