• Progressive-metal band Periphery leads a hard-rocking night, tonight at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Born Of Osiris, Dead Letter Circus, Twelve Foot Ninja. Show starts at 5. Tickets are $20, at Smith’s Tix.
• Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell sings with the Utah Symphony, tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at Arttix.
• Folk-rock band The Moondoggies and power-pop band The Quick & Easy Boys share headlining duties tonight at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: Rose Windows. Show starts at 9. Tickets are $15, at the venue’s website.
• Metal band Kill Devil Hill headlines Sunday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Eyes Set To Kill, Girl On Fire, Black Water Rising. Show starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $16 in advance, $18 on the day of the show, at Smith’s Tix.
• Tycho, the performing name for ambient-rock artist Scott Hansen, plays Sunday at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Beacon. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance, $17 on the day of the show, at 24Tix.
|1.||Paul Rolly: Blogger fired from language school over ‘homophonia’|
|2.||For selling risky mortgages, Bank of America fined $1.3B|
|3.||TV preview: ‘Hell on Wheels’ mocks Mormons|
|4.||14 senators want Obama to create national monument in Utah|
|5.||Take off your clothes to make it in reality TV|
|6.||‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ blasts Marvel in a different direction|
|7.||Polygamous trust fiduciary a witness in prostitution case|
|8.||Whole Foods plans a major marketing push|
|9.||Tennis: China’s Li Na pulls out of U.S. Open because of knee|
|10.||BYU basketball: Collinsworth not ruling out leaving early|