• Progressive-metal band Periphery leads a hard-rocking night, tonight at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Born Of Osiris, Dead Letter Circus, Twelve Foot Ninja. Show starts at 5. Tickets are $20, at Smith’s Tix.
• Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell sings with the Utah Symphony, tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at Arttix.
• Folk-rock band The Moondoggies and power-pop band The Quick & Easy Boys share headlining duties tonight at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: Rose Windows. Show starts at 9. Tickets are $15, at the venue’s website.
• Metal band Kill Devil Hill headlines Sunday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Eyes Set To Kill, Girl On Fire, Black Water Rising. Show starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $16 in advance, $18 on the day of the show, at Smith’s Tix.
• Tycho, the performing name for ambient-rock artist Scott Hansen, plays Sunday at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Beacon. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance, $17 on the day of the show, at 24Tix.
|1.||Martin MacNeill gets up to life in prison for wife’s murder|
|2.||Utah rally: Same-sex marriage would hurt children|
|3.||Fall TV preview: The best and worst of fall TV|
|4.||Movie review: ‘Maze Runner’ sends viewers going in circles|
|5.||In ninja gear and claiming to be polygamists, women invade Utah home|
|6.||Lawmaker: All Utah restaurants should have a ‘Zion Curtain’|
|7.||Ordain Women will take its message local to Mormon congregations|
|8.||Utah teacher to stand trial on charges of sex with second boy|
|9.||Darrien Hunt : A life cut short mourned by family, friends|
|10.||At 40, Mel Brooks’ ‘Frankenstein’ proves forever young|