• Post-hardcore band A Skylit Drive headlines tonight at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: For All Those Sleeping, Wolves at the Gate, Pvris. Show starts at 5. Tickets are $15, at Smith’s Tix.
• Utah Opera will perform Richard Strauss’ Biblical opera "Salome," tonight and Sunday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. In German, with English supratitles. Showtimes are tonight at 7:30, and a Sunday matinee at 2 p.m. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• Psychedelic/soul band King Khan & The Shrines performs tonight at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Hell Shovel, Breakers. Show starts at 9. Tickets are $15, at 24Tix.
• Folk-punk musician Austin Lucas performs Saturday at Kilby Court, 741 S. Kilby Court (330 West), Salt Lake City. Opening act: Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires. Show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10, at 24Tix.
• Swedish black-metal band Watain performs Saturday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: In Solitude, Tribulation. Show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $18 in advance, $20 on the day of the show, at Smith’s Tix.
• Stand-up comedian Gabriel Iglesias performs Saturday at Maverik Center, 3200 S. Decker Lake Drive, West Valley City. Show starts at 7:30. Tickets, from $32 to $57, are available at TicketMaster.
• Folk-rock icon Ani DiFranco performs at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Toshi Reagon. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $33 in advance, $35 on the day of the show, at Smith’s Tix.
• German/Swiss indie-pop band Boy performs at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Jeremy Messersmith, Swiss Embassy. Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $15, at Smith’s Tix and 24Tix.
|1.||University of Utah study: Lizard lungs work like birds’, and nobody knows why|
|2.||Mormon church traces black priesthood ban to Brigham Young|
|3.||Friends rally to help former Utah football star Bronzell Miller, given two weeks to live|
|4.||NSA head says metadata program key tool against terrorism|
|5.||Few searchers remain in quest for 5 missing in central Idaho plane crash|
|6.||Mitt Romney documentary a standout amid Sundance’s stars|
|7.||‘A Snow White Christmas’ brings new family tradition to Salt Lake City, panto style|
|8.||Restaurant review: Menu misses at The Annex in Sugar House|
|9.||All I want for Christmas is a new Christmas song|
|10.||A holiday cookie recipe for those of us who hate baking|