• The Utah State Fair concludes this weekend, at the Utah State Fairpark, 1000 W. North Temple, Salt Lake City. On the grandstand this weekend: Tonight, Texaco Country Showdown at 7:30 p.m. (admission is free, get tickets in advance); Saturday, the Beach Boys tribute Kahuna Beach Party, at 3 and 7 p.m. (tickets are $15 at the fair website, kids 12 and under free); Sunday, norteño musician Ramon Ayala, at 7:30 p.m. (tickets are $22 in advance, $27 on the day of the show, at the fair website). Gates open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tickets are $10, $7 for seniors and kids 6 to 11, free for children 5 and under.
• The Utah Symphony starts its new season with a show highlighted by Beethoven’s Triple Concerto, tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple. Thierry Fischer conducts; violinist Philip Setzer, cellist David Finckel and pianist Wu Han take lead on the concerto. Shows start at 8 p.m. each night. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• The David Bromberg Quintet, led by the genre-hopping guitarist, performs tonight at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: The DayLates. Show starts at 8. Tickets are $35, at the venue’s website.
• Party rocker Andrew W.K. plays Saturday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance, $18 on the day of the show, at Smith’s Tix.
• Rock band Jars of Clay performs Saturday at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Brooke Waggoner, Kye Kye. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $16 in advance, $18 on the day of the show, at 24Tix.
• "California soul" band The Mother Hips performs two sets Saturday at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: Erik the Red. Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $19, at the venue’s website.
• Reggae legend Jimmy Cliff, celebrating 40 years since the movie "The Harder They Fall" made him an international star, performs Sunday at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple. Opening act: Ethan Tucker. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $31 in advance, $36 on the day of the show, at Smith’s Tix.
|1.||Geminid meteor shower to put on a show Friday night|
|2.||Jazz ball boy’s Michael Jordan shoes fetch $105K at auction|
|3.||Terrifying new footage shows July’s fatal Asiana airplane crash|
|4.||Mormon church traces black priesthood ban to Brigham Young|
|5.||Review: Smaug alert: A fearsome dragon breathes fire into ‘Hobbit’|
|6.||Scandal’s first charges: Shurtleff’s ‘fixer’ slapped with six felonies|
|7.||Utahn Tyson Apostol is oh so close to winning on ‘Survivor’|
|8.||‘A Snow White Christmas’ brings new family tradition to Salt Lake City, panto style|
|9.||Tip for Jesus? Ogden bar owner confirms PayPal’s Selby left $1K tip|
|10.||Rock slide destroys home, kills two in Rockville|