Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Plans for the weekend: Wrapping up the Utah State Fair
• The Utah State Fair concludes this weekend, at the Utah State Fairpark, 1000 W. North Temple, Salt Lake City. On the grandstand this weekend: Tonight, Texaco Country Showdown at 7:30 p.m. (admission is free, get tickets in advance); Saturday, the Beach Boys tribute Kahuna Beach Party, at 3 and 7 p.m. (tickets are $15 at the fair website, kids 12 and under free); Sunday, norteño musician Ramon Ayala, at 7:30 p.m. (tickets are $22 in advance, $27 on the day of the show, at the fair website). Gates open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tickets are $10, $7 for seniors and kids 6 to 11, free for children 5 and under.
• The Utah Symphony starts its new season with a show highlighted by Beethoven's Triple Concerto, tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple. Thierry Fischer conducts; violinist Philip Setzer, cellist David Finckel and pianist Wu Han take lead on the concerto. Shows start at 8 p.m. each night. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• The David Bromberg Quintet, led by the genre-hopping guitarist, performs tonight at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: The DayLates. Show starts at 8. Tickets are $35, at the venue's website.
• Party rocker Andrew W.K. plays Saturday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance, $18 on the day of the show, at Smith's Tix.
• Rock band Jars of Clay performs Saturday at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Brooke Waggoner, Kye Kye. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $16 in advance, $18 on the day of the show, at 24Tix.
• "California soul" band The Mother Hips performs two sets Saturday at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: Erik the Red. Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $19, at the venue's website.
• Reggae legend Jimmy Cliff, celebrating 40 years since the movie "The Harder They Fall" made him an international star, performs Sunday at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple. Opening act: Ethan Tucker. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $31 in advance, $36 on the day of the show, at Smith's Tix.