• The 158th annual Utah State Fair kicks off today at the Utah State Fairpark, 1000 W. North Temple, Salt Lake City. Gates are open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. today. Tonight's grandstand entertainment: The Plain White T's, at 7:30 p.m.; with tickets going for $26, available at the fair website. General fair admission is $5 today only, at the gate.
• The first annual Salt Lake Comic Con launches its three-day run this afternoon at the Salt Palace Convention Center, 90 S. West Temple, Salt Lake City. Events run 4 to 8 p.m. today, noon-8 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $20 for tonight, $25 for Friday and $30 for Saturday; kids 11-16 get in for $12 today and Friday, $15 for Saturday; three-day passes are $50 for adults, $30 for 11-16; available at the Comic Con website.
• The 38th annual Salt Lake City Greek Festival begins its four-day run this afternoon at Holy Trinity Cathedral, 279 S. 300 West, Salt Lake City. The event runs from 4 to 11 p.m. today, and 11 a.m. To 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. To 8 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $3 at the door, and children 5 and under get in free.
• Psychedelic rock band MGMT headlines the summer's final Twilight Concert Series show, at Pioneer Park, 300 South and 300 West, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Kuroma. Show starts at 7; gates open at 5. Tickets are $5, at the gate.
• Southern singer-songwriter Jason Isbell performs at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: T. Hardy Morris. The show starts at 8, and is sold out online – though the venue suggests you try your luck at your neighborhood Graywhale Entertainment store.
|1.||Pioneer Day events around Utah|
|2.||Simmons calls ex-KISS bandmates crack addicts, losers|
|3.||NFL notes: Ravens RB Rice suspended two games for domestic violence|
|4.||Where to watch fireworks on Pioneer Day|
|5.||Bagley Cartoon: Future of Utah Lands|
|6.||BYU football: Ex-Ute Langi's mom says he's still undecided|
|7.||7 surprises in the Mormon pioneer diet|
|8.||Kate Kelly appeals excommunication from Mormon church|
|9.||This is the place for facts you might not know about Mormon pioneers|
|10.||Tour de France: Playful Pole wins 17th stage, as overall leader Nibali marches on|