The Sundance Institute is bringing back some old favorites from the Sundance Film Festival to outdoor screens in Salt Lake City and Park City this summer -- and you, the moviegoer, get to help choose one of the movies.
The 16th annual Free Outdoor Summer Screening Series will include five movies, all past festival or Sundance Institute lab entries. The fifth one will be determined by an online poll later this summer.
The series, according to Sundance co-managing director Sarah Pearce, "pays tribute to the films the local community responded to at our festivals, and we’re excited to invite the community to share in the programming."
Here’s the lineup:
• "Senna" • Asif Kapadia’s compelling, fast-paced documentary on the life of Ayrton Senna, the Brazilian Formula One driver who is considered perhaps the greatest race-car driver who ever lived. Screens Wednesday, July 31, at 9 p.m., at Red Butte Garden, Salt Lake City.
• "Muscle Shoals" • Such musical greats as Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Aretha Franklin and Bono are interviewed in director Greg "Freddy" Camalier fond look at Alabama’s FAME Studios, which gave birth to the Muscle Shoals sound thanks to the in-house musicians known as the Swampers. Screens Friday, Aug. 2, at 9 p.m., at Town Lift Plaza, Park City (as part of the 44th annual Kimball Arts Festival).
• "Little Miss Sunshine" • The Oscar-winning comedy about an eccentric family — a motivational-speaker dad (Greg Kinnear), "pro-honesty" mom (Toni Collette), brooding teen son (Paul Dano), heroin-addicted grandpa (Alan Arkin) and beauty-pageant contestant daughter (Abigail Breslin) — driving from Arizona to California in a busted VW bus. Screens Wednesday, Aug. 21, at 9 p.m. at Red Butte Garden, Salt Lake City; and Friday, Aug. 23, at 9 p.m., at Canyons Resort, Park City.
• "The Summit" • Nick Ryan’s documentary examines whether Irish mountaineer Ger McDonnell would have survived on K2 — where 10 other climbers died during a climb in 2008 — if he had kept to "the climber’s code." Screens Wednesday, Aug. 28, at 9 p.m., Red Butte Garden; Friday, Aug. 30, at 9 p.m., at Canyons Resort.
• Utah Community Choice Film • Moviegoers can vote online, from July 1 to Aug. 15, to pick the last movie in the series. Vote from these four titles: "Beasts of the Southern Wild," "Garden State," "Searching for Sugar Man" and "Sound City." Screens Wednesday, Sept. 4, at 9 p.m., at Red Butte Garden; Friday, Sept. 6, at 9 p.m. at Canyons Resort.
|1.||Utah protesters demand justice for Dillon Taylor, others killed by police|
|2.||Utah officer who shot Dillon Taylor was wearing a body camera|
|3.||BYUtv meets TV critics, and gay question arises|
|4.||Mormons turn to Internet to preach, but sometimes it turns on them|
|5.||Utah woman sentenced to prison in death of baby sitter|
|6.||NFL: Johnny Manziel and Browns both agree he’s not ready to start|
|7.||Lucky magazine’s fall fashion tips: Santa Fe look, hiking boots|
|8.||Mormon church used to make it easy to follow its money|
|9.||4 Utah restaurants call it quits|
|10.||Utah state Sen. Jim Dabakis gleefully takes on ‘Rocky Horror’|