• The Grand Kerfuffle 2013 happens tonight on the Union Lawn at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City. Featured: Awolnation, Mutemath, Katie Herzig. Show starts at 6. Tickets are $15, at Smith’s Tix. (Free for U. of U. students, available at the Union Services Desk; limit two per person.)
• The Utah Symphony plays all three of Tchaikovsky’s piano concerti in one show, tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Thierry Fischer conducts; Conrad Tao solos on piano (subbing for Louis Lortie, who came down with the flu). Shows start at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• Rapper Machine Gun Kelly performs tonight at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 8. Tickets are $28 (for 21 and over) and $30 (for under 21), at Smith’s Tix.
• The Joshua Payne Orchestra plays a farewell jazz show with David Williams tonight at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening acts: The Weekenders, Pablo Blaqk, Jay William Henderson. Show starts at 9. Tickets are $10, at the venue’s website.
• Elevated Minds, a hip-hop extravaganza, runs Saturday at the Gallivan Center, 239 S. Main St., Salt Lake City. Headlining are Mobb Deep, Talib Kweli and Binary Star. The show runs from 3 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $30 in advance, $40 on the day of the show, at Smith’s Tix or 24Tix.
• Royal Bliss returns home Saturday to rock out The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: King Niko, Samuel Smith Band, Hour 13. Show starts at 8. Tickets are $11 in advance, $16 on the day of the show, at Smith’s Tix.
• The one-man, five-robot band Captured! By Robots performs Sunday at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Red Bennies, Ready the Rockets. Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $10, at 24Tix.
|1.||University of Utah study: Lizard lungs work like birds’, and nobody knows why|
|2.||Mormon church traces black priesthood ban to Brigham Young|
|3.||Friends rally to help former Utah football star Bronzell Miller, given two weeks to live|
|4.||NSA head says metadata program key tool against terrorism|
|5.||Few searchers remain in quest for 5 missing in central Idaho plane crash|
|6.||Mitt Romney documentary a standout amid Sundance’s stars|
|7.||‘A Snow White Christmas’ brings new family tradition to Salt Lake City, panto style|
|8.||Restaurant review: Menu misses at The Annex in Sugar House|
|9.||All I want for Christmas is a new Christmas song|
|10.||A holiday cookie recipe for those of us who hate baking|