A noted painter, a veteran dance leader, a star sci-fi geek, a jack-of-all-trades arts maven and a public-radio powerhouse will receive the 2013 Mayor’s Artists Awards.
The awards, presented by the Salt Lake City Mayor’s Office and the Utah Arts Festival, go to people and groups who "have made significant contributions to the artistic landscape of the community," according to Wednesday’s announcement. The five will receive the awards on June 21, during the Utah Arts Festival.
The five are:
• Visual Arts: Karen Horne • The New York-born painter is known for her depictions of Salt Lake City landmarks, cultural events, architecture and people.
• Performing Arts: Mary Ann Lee • Lee has been artistic director of the University of Utah Tanner Dance program since 1979, after the death of founder Virginia Tanner. She also is an associate professor and lecturer in the U. of U.’s Department of Modern Dance, and directs student internships with the Virginia Tanner Creative Dance Program.
• Literary Arts: Bryan Young • The prolific author, comic-book publisher and columnist is best known as founder/editor-in-chief of the geek news/review website Big Shiny Robot.
• Service to the Arts by an Individual • Frank McEntire • In a long career as arts advocate and artist, McEntire has designed theater sets, sculpted, written arts criticism, and mounted art installations that involve viewers.
• Service to the Arts by an Organization • RadioWest • KUER’s hourlong weekday program covers news and culture, with in-depth interviews with Utah and national experts.
|1.||BYU football: Cougars blow lead in 42-35 loss to Nevada (with video)|
|2.||Waterless subdivision in Saratoga Springs spurs criminal charges|
|3.||Kirby: Meet the Mormons: The prequel|
|4.||BYU football: Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars’ collapse (with video)|
|5.||Federal sage-grouse workshop’s access criticized|
|6.||BYU football: Coaches say Cougars most deserving of power conference admission|
|7.||New Utah report cards: Too complex to hand to parents|
|8.||Seattle Mormon leaders to gays: You are valued — worship with us|
|9.||Woman accused of stabbing partner to death in Ogden|
|10.||Utah Jazz: For Enes Kanter, the time is now|