• Hot roots-rock band Alabama Shakes performs tonight at Saltair, 12408 W. Saltair Drive, Magna. Opening acts: Michael Kiwanuka, Sam Doores & Riley Downing. Show starts at 7:30. Tickets are $27, at Smith’s Tix or 24Tix.
• The Utah Symphony and guest conductor Andrew Grams perform Gershwin’s "An American in Paris," tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Also on the program: Gounod’s "Faust," Copland’s "Appalachian Spring" and Stravinsky’s "Game of Cards." Conert starts at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• Progressive rock band Umphrey’s McGee performs tonight at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening act: The Bright Light Social Hour. Show starts at 8. Tickets are $20, at Smith’s Tix.
• Minnesota guitar-pop band Free Energy and local faves The Devil Whale co-headline tonight at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Show starts at 9. Tickets are $12, at the venue’s website.
• Utah deathcore band Chelsea Grin headlines Saturday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Attila, Betraying The Martyrs, Within The Ruins, Buried In Verona. Show starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $15, at Smith’s Tix.
• Indie singer-songwriter Thao Nguyen and her band, Thao & the Get Down Stay Down, perform Saturday at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside. Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $15, at 24Tix.
• San Francisco "streetpunk" band Swingin’ Utters performs Saturday at Burt’s Tiki Lounge, 726 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Wild Roses, The Swillers. Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $13, at 24Tix or Smith’s Tix.
|1.||Washington Insight: The Sagebrush Rebellion lives on with Bundy dispute|
|2.||Western lawmakers gather in Utah to talk federal land takeover|
|3.||Magnitude 3.2 earthquake jolts western Utah, USGS says|
|4.||Hallelujah! Mormon Tabernacle Choir celebrates Easter with a powerful ‘Messiah’|
|5.||Why all the hate for Salt Lake City’s new federal courthouse?|
|6.||Utah same-sex marriage case could be thrown out on a technicality|
|7.||Salt Lake Comic Con FanX: In ‘cosplay,’ everybody can be anybody|
|8.||Utah Jazz: Coach Tyrone Corbin set for meeting with general manager|
|9.||Ex-NFL punter Chris Kluwe tells atheists to strive for empathy in Utah|
|10.||Utah realtors give ‘murder homes’ another life|