• Hot roots-rock band Alabama Shakes performs tonight at Saltair, 12408 W. Saltair Drive, Magna. Opening acts: Michael Kiwanuka, Sam Doores & Riley Downing. Show starts at 7:30. Tickets are $27, at Smith’s Tix or 24Tix.
• The Utah Symphony and guest conductor Andrew Grams perform Gershwin’s "An American in Paris," tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Also on the program: Gounod’s "Faust," Copland’s "Appalachian Spring" and Stravinsky’s "Game of Cards." Conert starts at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• Progressive rock band Umphrey’s McGee performs tonight at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening act: The Bright Light Social Hour. Show starts at 8. Tickets are $20, at Smith’s Tix.
• Minnesota guitar-pop band Free Energy and local faves The Devil Whale co-headline tonight at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Show starts at 9. Tickets are $12, at the venue’s website.
• Utah deathcore band Chelsea Grin headlines Saturday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Attila, Betraying The Martyrs, Within The Ruins, Buried In Verona. Show starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $15, at Smith’s Tix.
• Indie singer-songwriter Thao Nguyen and her band, Thao & the Get Down Stay Down, perform Saturday at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside. Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $15, at 24Tix.
• San Francisco "streetpunk" band Swingin’ Utters performs Saturday at Burt’s Tiki Lounge, 726 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Wild Roses, The Swillers. Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $13, at 24Tix or Smith’s Tix.
|1.||Bingham High students walk out over school dance dress code|
|2.||Tests confirm virus making kids very ill is in Utah|
|3.||Mormon leaders spread word about controversial essays|
|4.||Utah to BLM: Rein in your cops|
|5.||In Utah’s same-sex marriage debate, should the children be off limits?|
|6.||Meet the maestro of Utah’s TV chefs|
|7.||Monson: BYU and Utah won’t play this year, but if they did ...|
|8.||Judge rejects snowboarders’ suit over ban from Alta|
|9.||Paul Rolly: BYU fans rise and shout about ‘indecent’ ticket promotion|
|10.||Restaurant review: Dim sum dining in the heart of Salt Lake|