Plans for the weekend: Strait talk
• The 2013 Sundance Film Festival concludes this weekend, in Park City and at venues in Salt Lake City, Ogden and the Sundance resort. Go to the festival website for more information, and follow The Salt Lake Tribune's coverage of Sundance.
• Country star George Strait brings his "The Cowboy Rides Away" tour to Utah, tonight at EnergySolutions Arena, 301 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Martina McBride. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets, from $69.50 to $89.50, available at Smith's Tix.
• Canine expert and "dog whisperer" Cesar Millan makes an appearance tonight at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 8. (No dogs allowed.) Tickets, from $37 to $84, available at ArtTix.
• Rock band Sum 41 performs tonight at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: I Am Dynamite, Hunter Valentine. Show starts at 8. Tickets are $26 (for 21 and older) and $28 (for under-21), at Smith's Tix.
• Heavy-metal bands Emmure and Whitechapel lead a long bill Saturday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Unearth, Obey the Brave, The Plot in You. Show starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $20 in advance, $22 on the day of the show, at Smith's Tix.
• Australian guitarist Tommy Emmanuel performs Saturday at Kingsbury Hall, 1395 E. Presidents Circle, University of Utah campus, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets, at $29 and $39, available at the Kingsbury website.
• Indie rock band Pinback performs Saturday at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Judgement Day (yes, with the misspelling). Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 on the day of the show, at Smith's Tix.
See more about comments here.